new to this forum

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

tglaser

new to this forum

Post by tglaser »

I just discovered this site. Looks like there is a lot of valuable information. I hope to be able to contribute to this community.
[url=http://www.esteslaser.com]Metal cutting[/url]
Doug_C

Re: new to this forum

Post by Doug_C »

Welcome to the board!

Since you have some laser cutting exposure. Here was a thread a few weeks ago that asked the question of laser verses water jet cutting.

Old thread

I have had some exposure to both and each has its place. I would think the cost to be so close as to not make much of a difference. The edge condition is where I would draw the line. I think the laser edge would be much better at material this thin compared to some cuts on the water jet. Much of this has to do with the nozzle condition and quality of the machine, but thin materials tend to get a leaning edge as the garnet cuts.

Contribute your thoughts on this?

What laser systems are you using? Mazaks laser division is right there in Schaumburg. Across the street from Heidenhain. At least it was about 6years ago when I was there.

DC