A pleasant surprise

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

A pleasant surprise

Post by Harold_V »

I started my apprenticeship in August of '57. Early in '58, Sperry hired literally hundreds of new employees, many of whom were young guys starting out. One of them, Dennis Jacobs, became a fast friend and confidant, and worked in the shop alongside me.

As our lives developed, we went different directions, but kept in touch, and our friendship endured. Jake, as I call him, later started his own shop after taking several jobs out of the machining industry. He was exceedingly successful in this endeavor, but eventually was forced to close the doors on his shop due to a skin condition, aggravated by the oils of the shop. He took a job selling in the machine accessory and cutting tool industry, where he has enjoyed considerable success. His expertise in machining has been most useful to him in helping customers. The business he represents is a Starrett distributor.

This week I received an unexpected delivery from UPS.

Jake had shipped a Starrett toolmaker's hammer (815P) to me, bearing my name. It's one of the services offered by Starrett. What a wonderful way to remember an old friend!

Usual disclaimers------neither Jake or I are affiliated with Starrett.

Harold
Attachments
Toolmakers hammer.jpg
Toolmakers hammer.jpg (22.1 KiB) Viewed 4572 times
Orrin

Post by Orrin »

Thank you for a very interesting post, Harold.

A gift like that speaks volumes.

Regards,

Orrin
So many projects, so little time.
spro

little hammers big friends

Post by spro »

Magnifying lens set in the head. "P" is personalized straight from Starrett.
What can I say about precision appreciating precision :D
Victor_R

Post by Victor_R »

Hi Harold,

I second what Orrin said. That was a fun read and a very nice gesture on Jake's part.
That's something to be treasured for sure. What a nice friend.

Take care, Victor
"The machines are gaining ground upon us; day by day we are becoming more subservient to them" ~ Samuel Butler (1863)
ZipSnipe

Post by ZipSnipe »

Yeah that was a very kool jester. That just means Harold your a good man!!
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

A perfect gift. Thanks for sharing, Harold.
Metalman

Post by Metalman »

Harold
Your friend Jake has a lot of class 8) . And with the 4 oz head weight I don't think you will beat it up on your house project.
Ernie F.
Jacin

Good Friends

Post by Jacin »

Harold, NEAT story. Jake is obvioulsy a Class Act. This world needs more Jakes and Harolds.
Thanks for sharing that story - makes me smile.

Jacin in Ohio
larry_g

Post by larry_g »

I believe that good things come to those who have earned them. You sir have earned so much more than a good hammer from the internet community. I for one thank you for raising the quality work I'm able to do.
lg
no neat sig line
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, guys. I hesitated posting, but when I consider what a great friend I've had in Jake, I felt I had to make mention.

A guy I knew (Ben Preece) when I was running my commercial shop was employed at a company called WAECO, from which I sub-contracted a lot of high quality work. He was the buyer for the company, and was also involved in sub-contracting. He was killed years ago in a car accident, but he said something that had a profound affect on me, and I remember it still. He said, "if, in the course of living your life, you make enough friends that when you count them, you use all the fingers on one hand, you're very fortunate".

Fact is, he was right. How many of us truly have friends? Sure, I know a lot of people---hell, I even like some of them, but precious few of them would welcome my phone call when it wasn't convenient. Friends like Jake are a rare breed.

While I appreciate the gift, his friendship has far greater value.

Harold
Rob_Black

Post by Rob_Black »

Nice gift, and I appreciate the friendship aspect, but since it's a toll I gotta ask,

What do you do with it, or how does a toolmaker use such a critter?

Thanks,
Rob
[b] Some days are diamonds....[/b]
spro

little hammers big friends

Post by spro »

Your wife drives nails in for curtain rods when you're not around.