Need help reading indicator - pics

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Gary Gill

Need help reading indicator - pics

Post by Gary Gill »

I am using a B&S indicator graduated .00005". I took these photos while measuring the run out on a collet chuck. Is the deflection .0012" ?
My apolpogies for the large pics. I wanted you to be able to clearly see the graduation marks.

Thanks
Gary
n9zye@yahoo.com
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

The reading on the lower picture is 0012, but....

If you didn't zero the dial, and the top picture shows the actual starting point of the read, add the .00005 to it making the true reading around .00125.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
Mcgyver

Post by Mcgyver »

since we're indicating to half a tenth :o I don't mind being a nitpicker and pointing out you've got parallax at play! it may just be the practicalities of taking the pic, but being at an angle to the axis of the needle might contribute .00005 error in reading. seems like a fair bit of run out for a collet?
Gary Gill

Post by Gary Gill »

Starting at absolute zero was a problem using the B&S magnetic base I have. Just too tweaky to set perfect. I just wanted to be sure I read the deflection correctly. Whether it is .0012 or .0013 not much difference here.

I took this measurement on a new ER-32 collect chuck I purchased for my mini lathe. The indicator was contacting the taper. I have had the collet chuck on the spindle in two positions. I wiped all surfaces with alcohol to be sure they were clean. No burrs that I could see or feel.

I am disappointed with the collect chuck now. I considered returning it, but I have lost my receipt.

Another option I have considered is grinding the taper while mounted to the spindle. Maybe a Dremel mounted to the tool holder would do it.

Thanks
Skeeter5000

indicator reading

Post by Skeeter5000 »

Hi Gary,

.0012 is good to go is most cases. The reason for my comment is that the material will turn round. The only problem that can come of this is, if you need to take the part out and need to put it back, and you need to be right on.

My large collet holder checks about .001 out and has not been a problem.
I know about it so, its not a bad deal for me.

Also next getting anything this close (.0012) is darn good in most cases. (99.5%)

I don't think that a different chuck would check any closer. It would be rare.

My .02.

:D
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Did you check the spindle for runout before you installed the chuck? The .0012 might not all be in the chuck!

Glenn
Gary Gill

Post by Gary Gill »

I did check the spindle run out. No problem there.
Jose Rivera

Probably not USA

Post by Jose Rivera »

Should I guess that your chuck or collet holder is made in China ?

Just guessing !

The reason why this come to mind is because I have a collet type holder for my 3 in 1 and though there is zero run-out on the spindle, the holder has run out but never bother to check how much because it has not affected my work.

I can hold .0005 with care, no problem.

Nice indicator dude !
Last edited by Jose Rivera on Fri May 04, 2007 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Wow, 1/2 a 1/10 of a thou! ;) AKA 5/10000s or "5 mills". And I thought my 1/10th B&S drove me nuts on setups! I've got a Federal at that resolution, but have never used it...

But yeah, very nice indicator!
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

BadDog wrote:Wow, 1/2 a 1/10 of a thou! ;) AKA 5/10000s or "5 mills". And I thought my 1/10th B&S drove me nuts on setups! I've got a Federal at that resolution, but have never used it...

Back to the drawing board, I added one zero to many :-)
I ment half a thousand.
I am correcting that !
Right now ! :-)
Not to confuse my 3 in 1 with wire EDM
Last edited by Jose Rivera on Fri May 04, 2007 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

Jose Rivera wrote:
BadDog wrote:Wow, 1/2 a 1/10 of a thou! ;) AKA 5/10000s or "5 mills". And I thought my 1/10th B&S drove me nuts on setups! I've got a Federal at that resolution, but have never used it...

Back to the drawing board, I added one zero to many :-)
I ment half a thousand.
I am correcting that !
Right now ! :-)
Not to confuse my 3 in 1 with a wire EDM
Last edited by Jose Rivera on Fri May 04, 2007 10:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Yeah, but your statement is still correct, as long as you can hold 5 thou... The statement just doesn't match the resolution. Then you cautiously crept up on the right number of zeros. No harm in caution eh? ;)
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper