Hole Transfer

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

Hole Transfer

Post by seal killer »

All--

I find that I transfer a lot of holes in my simple work. I am not very good at it, though. SOMEWHERE, perhaps in a catalog or online, I read about a very simple tool that was like a screw with its head turned down to a point. They were used by simply screwing them into the part and then taping the part with a hammer to "punch" the hole locations in the workpiece with the point. They came in several screw sizes.

What are these things called?

--Bill
ps Today, the smith-wessonforum rejected my application for membership based on my Internet pseudonym; seal killer. I have used that pseudonym for years on firearms and non-firearms related forums. I am an atypical educator: I KNOW that political correctness is destroying our country. That is why I chose "seal killer" as my pseudonym. The smith-wessonforum chose to censor me because of my pseudonym, while allowing language that would NEVER, EVER pass on this forum of gentlemen. (Plus, many other firearm's forums to which I belong: Gentlemen are gentlemen.)
You are what you write.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Transfer Screws

Traverse Tool sells them as does MSC Industrial.
Victor_R

Post by Victor_R »

This is what they look like. These are Heimann brand and each set has six pieces.
Attachments
screws.JPG
"The machines are gaining ground upon us; day by day we are becoming more subservient to them" ~ Samuel Butler (1863)
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I picked up a set of those at a garage sale from someone who called himself a "retired machinist" but he didn't know what they were.

If you look close in Victor's picture, just behind the point is a hex head, which you use with a socket to get the things in and out.

Steve
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

Here is another version of transfering a hole. These were originally used in die making for transfering a hole in a component inside the the dieset to the die set inself.

These transfere buttons are used for screw clearance holes but a few in the mix have shank sizes equal to the tap drill size for certain threads. They are made of tool steel and hardened with a torch. They can be repointed by grinding.

The threaded transfere screws are best but I never had enough lead time to order them before I needed them.

Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
JerryL

Hole Transfer

Post by JerryL »

This isn't the best way to a transfer holes but in a pinch I have used ball bearings that are larger than the hole and a sheet of transfer or carbon paper .
If you have enough balls the same size , you set the ball in the hole and place the carbon paper over it then put the part to be transferred to over that .
Then VERY easy and lightly tap / move / press down on the both work pieces . A very small and light mark will be left from the high point of the ball.
You have to watch so that the ball does not mar / distort the first thread or two. It's not as accurate as the threaded type ....BUT in a pinch it has worked .
Over the years I have obtained and keep about enough balls 8 or so in each of the most common sizes 1/8 - 1/2 and 3mm - 9 mm.

JerryL
Take Care Have Fun Be Safe --Enjoy life and take care of your body --Life IS SHORT AND precious
Jay, Idaho

Post by Jay, Idaho »

Set the transfer screws just slightly above the surface and have layout die or a very clean surface for the marks to show. I use a scale and try to adjust until there is a minimum amount of light under it when it is sitting on the point of the screw. Test the part with the transfer screws by setting it on the flat surface and make sure that there is no "rocking" motion.
Then, hit it one time with a hammer but be gentle. Transfer screws can last a long time if treated properly.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

--Bill
You are what you write.
poohbear2767

Why the name seal killer

Post by poohbear2767 »

I tried several times to PM you but it wouldn't work.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Ok, I'm curious. Why the name "seal killer'.
I thought it meant you are hard on machine seals.
Or maybe you were a navy seal and good at killing.
Also, what type of educator. What do you teach.

As long as you are not a bear killer I see no problem.
Polar bears love seals. Very tasty.

Pooh Bear
------------------------------
Today, the smith-wessonforum rejected my application for membership based on my Internet pseudonym; seal killer. I have used that pseudonym for years on firearms and non-firearms related forums. I am an atypical educator: I KNOW that political correctness is destroying our country. That is why I chose "seal killer" as my pseudonym. The smith-wessonforum chose to censor me because of my pseudonym, while allowing language that would NEVER, EVER pass on this forum of gentlemen. (Plus, many other firearm's forums to which I belong: Gentlemen are gentlemen.)
PeteH

Transfer screws

Post by PeteH »

On my Heimann screws, the tip of the "case" is the hex socket that you use to screw the transfer screws into the hole. It's that little "nipple" on the end of the case. These are pretty old, but I think they're the same as the pictured ones.

BTW, I've always called 'em "Heimann screws" - kinda like "Kleenex", I just identified them by the brand - but is there a generic name for them ?
Pete in NJ
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

poohbear2767--

I retired October 2--just a few days ago--after thirty years in higher education. I am one of the very few conservatives in higher education. When I began to join forums that attracted my interest, such as shooting, I needed a pseudonym. Everyone had one, so I thought I needed one, as well. (This was quite a while ago.)

One of my main hobbies is shooting. I am not a hunter, however. I also have absolutely nothing against it, other than it is distasteful to me for someone to simply kill for sport. If I was HUNGRY, then I would be a hunter.

Anyway, as a conservative I am strictly anti-politically correct. It is not that I am rude or impolite, just the opposite is the case. But, to distort reality to such an incredible degree in the manner we have done in higher education is an attack on American freedom, itself. You see the results of that distortion every day, day in and day out.

So, when I joined my first firearms' related forum, the Desert Eagle forum, I adopted the pseudonym "seal killer." There already was a "deer killer" (avid hunter that eats what he shoots) and several "psycho"-this and "psycho"-that and "fifty"-whatever. If you had asked me this very same question on a firearms' related forum I would have responded totally differently with a complete fiction about protecting humanity from the new breed of killer seals that have evolved in the last 500,000 to 750,000 years. It is as funny as I can make it, after-all, humor is what makes us human.

My point with the Smith and Wesson forum administrators was that they rejected my application to join their forum based on my pseudonym ONLY. They did this after they knew my real name and e-mail address. However, if you lurk on that forum, you will find that they do not censor the language or much of anything.

Strange, to say the least. They are better off without me on their forum.

So am I.

On this forum, as on many others to which I belong, gentlemen (and the few ladies that might belong) are gentlemen and know how to treat one another, crazy pseudonym or not. Take a look at my tag line.

--Bill, aka seal killer
ps poohbear2767 and anyone else, I am really bad at checking my PM box, as well! My e-mail address is ringlord"at"sunflower.com
You are what you write.
poohbear2767

Post by poohbear2767 »

I am strictly anti-politically correct............to distort reality to such an incredible degree.......................is an attack on American freedom, itself. You see the results of that distortion every day, day in and day out.
Sounds like a man after my own heart.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Oh, and I strongly support the right to arm bears.

Pooh Bear