Source for Tripan cutoff blades ??

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

PeteH

Source for Tripan cutoff blades ??

Post by PeteH »

I've got a Tripan 134 cutoff tool, which takes blades that are only 10mm (3/8") wide. It won't take a standard 1/2" blade.

The original blades have a shallow "Vee" in the top edge, and a bevel on the bottom edge. These hold the blade tight against the body of the tool, when the wedge is drawn in.

I've twice e-mailed DA-Swiss in Pennsylvania (the US distributor for Tripan), and they haven't answered. I also tried Anglo-Swiss in the UK, same result (or lack thereof). And besides, if I read their parts-list correctly, they want something like 20 Euro per blade!

I found that MicroMark has a 3/8" wide cutoff blade, but when I posted about it, someone - maybe on this list - said that blade won't hold in the Tripan tool, since it lacks the "vee-groove".

Anybody got a source for Tripan blades?

Thanks
Pete in NJ
jcfx

Re: Source for Tripan cutoff blades ??

Post by jcfx »

PeteH, I've recently got a hold of a Tripan 134 cutoff blade holder and I'm ressurecting this 8 year old thread,
did you ever find a source in the USA for these blades for the 134 holders ?
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Yes, I actually found them from an eBay seller, a bit less than two years ago. (Took a long time, didn't it?) They were pretty cheap, too, only about U$3,25 each, plus about $4 shipping from England to the US. I bought 10 of them; they look good (although they don't have the "v-groove" in the top edge, as the original Tripan blades do). I've been involved in moving, and my shop is in storage, so I haven't tried them out yet.

Here's the info from the "completed sales" page:

SPARE PARTING BLADES 1/16" x 3/8" x 4" HSS ( Lathe Cut Off ) ML7 boxford Tools
( 141248897414 )
http://www.ebay.com/usr/sheffield-tools ... 2749.l2754

The vendor's name is "sheffield-tools" -- note the hyphen. That URL will take you to the seller's homepage.

HAH! I searched the seller's page with the description. Here's what I got:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... +&_sacat=0

Good luck!! -PeteH
Pete in NJ
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

That's awesome that you found 3/8" tall blades, I've got the eBay link watched and will order some.

Fwiw, I've been in contact with Anglo-Swiss Tools UK, seems that Tripan is stopping toolpost manufacture at the
end of this year ( 2016 ) unless another company takes up making them, it's existing stock in 2017 till it's exhausted.

Forgot to add, OEM blades for the 134 holder are discontinued.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Too bad; the Tripan stuff is as nice as I've seen. I'm lucky insofar as my V10 came with a full outfit of Tripan holders, including a couple for 1/2" shanks.

As far as I was concerned,though, the price on those Tripan-original cutoff blades put them outside my reach anyway.

Has anyone ever posited just what that V-groove in the top of the blade does ? It's obvious that the setscrews engage it, but there are plenty of cutoff blades in the world that have flat tops. Does it help clear the chips, maybe ?

BTW. I also bought a cutoff-tool holder from another source (maybe LMS; I'm not sure any more) - the base part is 3/8" thick and it holds standard 1/2" cutoff blades. I haven't put it on the lathe yet -- I'm a bit concerned about (A) overhang, these not being the most rigid machines, and (B) height-to-center. But if it works, it will give me the option of using those nice $1.50 cutoff blades in all the catalogs, rather than scrounging for the 3/8" ones.
Pete in NJ
spro

Post by spro »

I can say there has been threads here and at P.M. about achieving a precise sharp groove in the center of a cut-off blade. It takes parting into another level. Instead of head-on attack, the lead edges prepare the channel by which the bulk of chip evacuation occurs.
It is two operations at once. Why go on when Harold already explained it. Find in the resource library here.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

PeteH, The Tripan QCTP that came with my V10P is a dream to use compared the square Phase 2,
I have on my Maximat 7, I particularly like the fact that the tool post is wedge shaped, and can
clear my live center better than a square one. I could still use a smaller bodied live center....
Unfortunately mine came with only two 131b holders, but I found two on eBay
one of which was a cutoff tool holder, I'm going to break the bank and order a few more from Anglo-Swiss.
I was going to change it out to a AXA size so that I could have more tool holders
but the AXA size didn't give me a lot of wiggle room.

spro - I'll have to look for HaroldV's article, I'm ordering a newer model of a Tripan cutoff tool holder
that take 12mm tall blades, I figured I can grind regular .50 blades down a hair to fit.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Thanks, Spro... I'd missed that discussion entirely. (I've been off-forum for the past year, tangled up with moving.) -Pete
Pete in NJ
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Interesting coincidence... LMS has a special on that adapter that holds 1/2" cutoff blades, and in turn fits in a 3/8" holder.
Today's October 6 2016, and the deal is good until the 11th. -Pete

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/produc ... pecial.php
Pete in NJ
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

I've looked into those, to me seems like the blade may hang out too far from the tool holder on "light" lathe like a V10P
besides I just spent beaucoup bucks on some new Tripan holders and a newer model cutoff holder.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Since I put a round, shallow, longitudinal "gutter" on top of the parting blade all my parting woes disappeared.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
spro

Post by spro »

Hi Tornitore45. HV wasn't talking to himself about these things. You were there. :)