New member intro

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Charles Cleland

Post by Charles Cleland »

I would have posted a short blog about my shop ,I wasn't sure how to do it !
anyway I am 81 years old .Machines have been my whole life's quest. I am retired since 1990,and I doubt if I will ever get around to doing allI want to do in my shop.I have a 13x 40 gearhead lathe,bridgeport mill two drill presses, miller 250 MIG ,a miller Econo tig,set of torches,a 20ton press and I
biult a mill attachment for my lathe( it goes rihgt in the alors tool post. I am interested in just about everything. I have a 20 foot runabout that my brother and I salvaged from lake mead in Nv. I also scuba dive (or used to )and have built my on HooA rig for diving off my boat.I earned my living from the glazing bussiness puting up store fronts ,the glass and the metal.
I am working now on a foundry (small) to get back into casting as I did that as a hobbie 30 years ago. I love this foram.
Charlie Cleland
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Charles Welcome! You should fit right in, "I am interested in just about everything." - the qualifying statement. Glad to have you aboard and hope you will share some of your projects with us.
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Wow Charlie, scuba, boats, salvage and metal casting.. Are we related?
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spro

Post by spro »

Charles i hope you know that you were welcome halfway through you started speaking. You have so much to say and don't button-up on experiences. I know you will get good advise about whatever setup of these machines when you ask. Anykind of part or anything like that. That is your concern and whatever help you may need you will find among many knowledgeable in this craft.
It is also that we acknowledge what a mixture of
reliable mechanicals measurements and risks were involved in doing your previous skills so long. Over tea or whatever question you could recount an operation and we would enjoy it. Not to take you outta the shop but Man You have seen some Stuff!
Mark Hockett

Post by Mark Hockett »

Charles,
Welcome to the forum. We have a lot of the same equipment as I too have a 13X40 gear head lathe, BP clone mill, a couple of drill presses, Miller 250 MIG, Lincoln 175 TIG, Victor torches, 20 ton press and I have a small foundry some of which came out of a high school shop in CA. Along with those pieces of equipment I own a CNC job/production shop.

I use to live not too far from you in Sacramento. I would really enjoy going to the Bay area machine tool scrounging at some of the old tool dealers there. I have two friends who are machine tool dealers in the area, Gary Aragon who is an independent dealer and Rob Kroha who owns Performance Machine Tools. I also do a fair amount of business with Bob Rowe of Rowe Machinery over in Santa Cruz.
Mark Hockett
CarlD

Post by CarlD »

:shock: Wow Charlie, 81 and still as active as that. I am 67 and sure hope to be as active as you when I reach my 80's. I want to slide up to the gate screaming, more time, more time, I didn't finish the project.

Glad to see you here Charlie
Carl
It's only ink and paper.
Jose Rivera

81 years young!

Post by Jose Rivera »

Charles, you are really inspiring me.

I surely would like to keep tinkering with machines to the day I die :lol:

I am 63 now and will be 64 in April.

Is so refreshing to read your posting.
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
Charles Cleland

Post by Charles Cleland »

Thanks Guys you know how to make a n old man feel wanted.
chaz :
Still hanging in there
chaz
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Welcome aboard from S Il. Mr. Cleland . And I mean that most respectively . Sounds like you have had a full life . I'm just a pup to some of the members here , 65YO , but try to learn something everyday . Looking forward to some pics of project of yours .
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

chaz--

Welcome to the forum!

I look forward to learning from you.

--Bill
You are what you write.