One man's scrap is another man's severance pay.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

websterz

One man's scrap is another man's severance pay.

Post by websterz »

My former employer was really good about tossing away just the sort of stuff I liked to collect. I am in the process of straightening up and decided to sort out my material collection. This doesn't include a large box of 5/8" CRS in 10" lengths, about 30 of them were supposed to be 11" so they tossd them. lol

In addition to this I have a large squirrelcage fan complete with motor that runs like a champ, and 2 half horsepower 110v motors that run like new.

This shelf is steel, stainless on the left side, mild steel on the right, as well as some nice teflon slabs.

This shelf is solid aluminum stock, plate of various thicknesses, and a few aluminum angle drops.

And finally the aluminum round, angle, and tubing.

Jose Rivera

Left-overs/drops

Post by Jose Rivera »

Hey my ex-boss, Mr Earl M. Jorgensen (Jorgensen Steel Co.) started his business in a small garage in Alameda Ave (L.A.) near where their now central offices are. It used to be their forge Division but they closed it up after the 1970 crash after the oil embargo.

He would drive around in a small pick up asking for metal left overs either free or cheap.

He will store them and re-sell them to smaller shops.
Then came WWI and he made a bundle selling his scrap to Uncle Sam.

During the WWII, he had already had the headquarters location and had a large forge shop in full operation.

The government offered him support with equipment if he would dedicate the whole operation to sell to them. He agreed.

The money started rolling in and at the end of the war in 1945 (the years I was borne), Uncle Sam not needing those large machines and lathes sold them to him for a Dollar a piece :lol:

One of those instances of know what levers to pull, being at the right place at the right time.

He had enough connections to have pictures of several presidents seating on his desk including Nixon, Reagan and Clinton.

Now the man is gone to sell steel in higher places.

Jorgensen Steel Co. has been the best company that I have worked for.

Everyone was treated like family. Clean place with high regard for safety.

A broken glass panel on the facility meant ass-chewing for the maintenance crew :P

Whenever he came to visit the facility the first thing he did was to ask his chofer to drive around the outside of the plant looking for for dirt on the wall or broken windows.

So when I see your stash neatly stored by type and material Mr. Earl M. Jorgensen comes to my mind.
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Great story Jose but when I see that stash it puts me in mind of a few projects that are on hold for lack of the material and a few more I would attempt if I had the stock at a very reasonable price. Free is always good.

I'd change that title to; "Most any mans scrap could be my next project"
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I'm drooling. :shock:
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Jose Rivera

Drooling

Post by Jose Rivera »

steamin10 wrote:I'm drooling. :shock:
Me too!!

Hey websterz, when you run out of space I can store some for you 8)
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
david5605

Post by david5605 »

Based on what I pay for steel/aluminum from places like Speedymetals it looks like you have a fortune there. Particularly the aluminum.

I scrounge things like angle iron, small pieces of sheetmetal, etc. It all sits under my deck. You can never have too much 'scrap stuff'
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Thats not scrap, thats 'stock'. Kinda like the 'scrap gold' idea. ( I dont get that one.)

That is the only 'stock' I have in the stock market. I buy what I can where I can find it. It comes in handy when you have it, and stings the wallet when you dont.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

david5605 wrote:Based on what I pay for steel/aluminum from places like Speedymetals it looks like you have a fortune there. Particularly the aluminum.
Heh! Check the price of Teflon. He has a small fortune in that alone.

Harold
Frank Ford

Post by Frank Ford »

A local pal works for Google, and when they broke down and moved their computer array - servers, etc. - they told him they were planning to toss out the heavy structural aluminum racks. So, he asked if he could have the material and they agreed. He then rented a truck and made a cool grand in one haul to the local scrap yard.

Another friend was working at HP when they told him they were scrapping out some machines, and if he wanted anything he'd have to get it out that day. He, too, rented a truck and hauled off the 15" Clausing that graces the home page at HomeShopTech and a well tooled Bridgeport, all for free. Both machines were, and are in great shape.

Scraps from the giant's table. . .
Cheers,

Frank Ford
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I know a business that threw out a bluestone walkway about 8 feet wide and probably 125 feet long (3" thick stone). Threw it in a dumpster (broke every peice - on purpose!).

They claim to support Habitat for Humanity. think how many walkways that could have made.

I think the lawyers were too worried that if someone tripped on the walk, they'd come back and sue the company.

Today's trash find - perfectly good 4-bulb flourescent light fixture at the dump. Haven't bought a single light fixture for the shop.

Steve
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ya, work remodeled the office and took down and replaced 22 4 light units for the suspended ceiling. I palletized them all and put a hand lettered HOLD sign on them. Took 3 months to get a scrap pass for them. None had the plastic covers and most were smoky inside and yellow. 9 have 277 ballasts in them (?). Doesnt matter, a squirt of rustyloleum white inside and hung between rafters in the open ceiling shop, they will work fine. The 277 ballast replacements can be had from other scrounging, and the lights renewed that way. They are piled in storage ready to be stuck up.

Big box home wood store is doing spring re-arranging. A LOT of racks and storage display stuff is getting tossed, to change the look. I took too long to get back to the manager, and lost about 8 2x4 square tube from a storage rack. I did get some trim racks for paneling that is made from light 1x1 tube for $5. About 20 floor feet of the stuff. Plywood that is painted and nailed, with some ship board too hits the bargain area, and is scarfed up by me for about 1/3 market price. I build storage sheds (Barns) and pool houses with the stuff, and it keeps costs low and profits up. I prebuild and anyone can buy what they see.

I love to scrounge, uh, recycle.

Too bad about the Blue Stone, it is nice stuff. I have some white granit that was used in steel pickling tanks, to block up my front wall, cutting the 1000 lb pieces into 1x3 ft blocks is a bear of a chore. they are about six feet long so I get about six pieces to dress out of each one. Only threeleft to go, Maybe this year. Ihad been shock splitting them, but I think I am going to feather the rest. I am getting old to swing a hammmer that many times.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

steamin10 wrote:Too bad about the Blue Stone,
Blue stone?

Can someone enlighten me? I'm not familiar with the term.

Harold