3 AT collet angle

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Greg B

3 AT collet angle

Post by Greg B »

Does anyone know what the angle of the head of a 3AT collet? I'm getting about 15 deg., but my collets are slightly sprung so I not sure if it really is.
Thanks, GDB
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I've never seen a published figure for that.

Can you measure the angle in the headstock adapter instead?

Alternately, you could machine something between centers to an angle set on the compound, then test the fit with spotting fluid and see if you are shallow or steep and keep adjusting until you get it. I made a Jacob's taper that way.

Steve
spro

collet

Post by spro »

Instead of me digging this out there was a Hardinge site of info which listed all these different collets they made and specs. These were used in Pratt&Whitney smaller machines and vertical heads which may have found themselves coupled to Atlas mills. I don't know how you unspring a collet except use it within the range etched on it.
Greg B

Post by Greg B »

Thanks all, I was led to this on another forum. Thought it might be good info for others.
http://www.conradhoffman.com/hsm01.htm
GDB