OT: Coffee Maker Boilers

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

JimGlass

OT: Coffee Maker Boilers

Post by JimGlass »

This is a little off topic but hopefully someone will have some Ideas.

In Nothern Illinois our drinking water is considered "Hard water" or loaded with dissolved minerals. This hard water will lime up a new coffee maker in 6 to 9 months. Every 6 to 9 months we trash a like new coffee maker just because the boiler is pluged with lime. I have tried for years to remove the lime by drilling it out of the boiler. But the boilers are "U" shaped and I can only drill about 1 1/2" deep. Drilling helps but is not the cure.

I have searched all over the internet to find a source for replacement boilers and found nothing.

Years ago I called the manufactures for replacement boilers. They always said they would not sell the consumer a replacement boiler for liability reasons. I'm sure that I'm quite capable of replacing the boiler without killing myself.

These boilers have to be around somewhere. Does anyone have a source or contact information on these boilers? Has anyone found a way to remove the lime.

Thanks,
Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
jutz

Post by jutz »

If you search the internet for "Coffee maker lime removal" you will find lots of sites, most of which say to run vinegar through it to clean out the lime.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

You might run a tube bruse through it once a week.

Also bottled water may be the best answer.

Richard W.
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

Bottled water or run a load of white vinegar through it once every couple of weeks. Or buy stock in Bunn. :D
tailshaft56

Post by tailshaft56 »

We have the same thing here. We use a Bunn and it comes with a flexable spring thats used to ream out the lime. It does help but is not the be all to end all. I did install A filter to the kitchen sink. While it's not a 100 % cure it will capture a fair amount of the lime. We don't get nearly as much of the buildup we used to get where you pour the water in.

The filter kits are around $50 with the replacement filters about $30. They are supposed to be good for a year. Ours is starting to limit the volume more than normal so I may have to change it a bit early.
Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TS
Millermatic Challenger 172
Victor O/A
Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
Esab PCM-875
Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill
CarlD

Post by CarlD »

A good dose of white vinegar about once a week should do it.
It's only ink and paper.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

If you’re going to filter the water you have to get a reverse osmosis filter. It should get rid of the lime. I have an iron filter and I have lime also, but the lime isn’t bad enough to go the reverse osmosis route.

Richard W.
CB&Q

For Jim:

Post by CB&Q »

I grew up in Berwyn; our water was 100% purchased from Chicago, therefore making it's source Lake Michigan. Are you too far out to be on same water?

L. Michigan water was said to be amongst the hardest there was. I can only say that I think we got more fine clay or silt delivered with it, insoluble, than dissolved solids like lime. Six months of use of a toilet revealed 1/2" of gray "mud" in the bottom of the tank.

Coffee is said to be bad for you, anyhow......... :wink:

CB&Q
One can derive far more personal pleasure and reward from observing Mother Nature's living things instead of Humanity's Madness.....
GeneT

Post by GeneT »

I had multiple coffee maker issues years back and solved the problem by buying a restaurant quality coffee maker from eBay. It was about $200 (about 10% of what it would have cost new) and it's been going strong for the last 6-7 years. The plumbing is all standard stuff, so you can pull it apart for cleaning, the boiler is a big can that holds 2 pots worth of water (the coffee maker is plumbed in, so refreshes automatically) and spare parts are available. A little more cost now, but I believe mine has saved me money.

GsT
Mid Day Machining

Post by Mid Day Machining »

I have a relative in Idaho who has the same problem and about once a month he will run a pot of about 25% white vinegar through his pot about 6 or 7 times. He runs it through, then lets it cool a little and runs it again, then runs about 3 pots of plain water through it.

Good luck.
mechanicalmagic

Post by mechanicalmagic »

Looks like time to build your own boiler, salvage what you can from a dead one. How hard can it be? IIRC there's a heater, a Klixon switch, a flat plate, and some tubing. If you build it with throw-away "U" tubes, it could last for decades.

Dave J.

***EDIT*** You might consider using "heat sink grease" in addition to mechanical pressure when attaching the "U" tube.
McMaster #3883K23
Last edited by mechanicalmagic on Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every day I ask myself, "What's the most fun thing to do today."
9x48 BP clone, 12x36 lathe, TIG, MIG, Gas, 3 in 1 sheetmetal.
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

Looks like time to build your own boiler, salvage what you can from a dead one. How hard can it be? IIRC there's a heater, a Klixon switch, a flat plate, and some tubing. If you build it with throw-away "U" tubes, it could last for decades.
You must be reading my mind because if I cannot find a source for a replacement boiler, building one was my next thought. The current one is an aluminum extrusion with two tubes. One for water and the heating element in the other. Separate the two with a saw and clamp on another tube. I think there is a check valve in the water tube.

I'm aware of vinegar to clean the coffee maker. But my wife and I live a hectic life style. She monitors the stock market reports on TV and I'm always playing the shop. We are both retired. :roll:
Jim[/code]
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com