A poll ****** PLEASE READ*******

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Should we allow pictures that display 1024 pixels in width?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:45 am

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes: 82

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

mechanicalmagic wrote:OK, I'm going to get back in to the fray. I'm on my daughter's computer, we are visiting. It's a brand new Dell, and the factory has it set to 1024x768, it's atrocious. I have to scroll on threads with no pictures.

Keep 800x600.

Dave J.
I'm sold. Now to convince José :wink:

Harold
CarlD

Post by CarlD »

I am not a member of Photobucket, I don't pay anything to use the site, I used to resize my photos before I uploaded them and lately I just upload them and let them resize them but it takes a lot longer to upload. I am thinking about resizing them my self to speed things up.

As far as I can tell you can't have a photo on Photobucket over 800x600 because they resize them automatically.
It's only ink and paper.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Carl,

Photobucket gives you a number of sizes to opt from when uploading pics. The sizes range from 100 X 75 to 2 mb. You select the size you need.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
mechanicalmagic

Post by mechanicalmagic »

Harold_V wrote:
mechanicalmagic wrote:OK, I'm going to get back in to the fray. I'm on my daughter's computer, we are visiting. It's a brand new Dell, and the factory has it set to 1024x768, it's atrocious. I have to scroll on threads with no pictures.
Keep 800x600.
Dave J.
I'm sold. Now to convince José :wink:
Harold
I would, if I could. But, I have a difficult time debating with someone so foreign to me. His shop is cleaner than my kitchen. His floor is cleaner than my counter tops. A sick, sick person as far as I am concerned. And I would doubt he is wiling to wrestle with a pig, for the cleanliness title.
If he was forced to live with my 10 year old hardware, I'm sure the story would be different. (Well, maybe 5 years.)

Dave J.
Every day I ask myself, "What's the most fun thing to do today."
9x48 BP clone, 12x36 lathe, TIG, MIG, Gas, 3 in 1 sheetmetal.
CarlD

Post by CarlD »

Glenn, I don't use any options, I just do the upload and let it decide what to do and it turns out as an 800x600 photo.

I still maintain those that just put a photo on any site that is over size are not considerate of the issues of others or they don't know what they are doing.

After they are told it is not acceptable and continue doing it I consider them a CLOD and BELLIGERENT individuals at best.

Most change the size but others don't want to learn how to resize or are belligerent and refuse to conform to accepted reason.

If your going to be part of a family on a forum you should be willing to adopt the requirements of the family or leave the site.
It's only ink and paper.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

I found a solution that does everything I want it to do without trampling the rules of our extremely well maintained forum.

I often upload an 800x600 pixel picture AND provide a link to an externally hosted larger size version of the same picture. To see the larger picture, the reader must click the link. This opens another browser window to display the picture without affecting convenient, no-scroll forum viewing.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Charles Cleland

Re: A poll ****** PLEASE READ*******

Post by Charles Cleland »

Hi; I am OK with the 800 pixels I reduce all of mine to that anyway. chaz
Still hanging in there
chaz
Charles Cleland

Post by Charles Cleland »

Hi; I was wondering whether any of you guys have had any thing to say about a Mitutoyo digal readout system for a Bridgeport. How do you measure to buy one is it the travel or the size of the table on the milling machine. chaz
Still hanging in there
chaz
Mid Day Machining

Post by Mid Day Machining »

800, 1200, 1600, whatever. I have a 32 inch monitor so it really makes no difference to me.
You can buy good parts, or you can buy cheap parts, but you can't buy good cheap parts.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Harold,

I like the 800 limit. I have a 20" screen and the scrolling is a nuisance. There are plenty of photo aps to size the pics, some of them free.

Jack.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

With the new software, pictures hosted on the board are always displayed as a thumbnail, so they're not a problem. Those that wish to see a larger picture can click on the thumbnail to see it displayed @ 1024 ax 768, assuming it has been posted that size. Anything larger can be seen at the size of the posting, simply by clicking on the second picture, which was opened in a second screen. Yet another screen is opened, displaying the picture in the size uploaded. That way, text is not troubled.

The problem still exists when readers choose to host their pictures on an outside server, where it's not uncommon for such pictures to be displayed @ 1024 x 768, or larger. In such a case, I used to delete the link, but have since taken to changing code, so the picture won't display without being clicked. The large picture remains, but is not troublesome.

I would hope that other moderators keep an eye open for such pictures. You can determine the size by right clicking on the picture, then clicking Properties. If it is larger than 800 pixels in width, the post should be edited, altering the link. It would appear as below, with the link replacing the part that says linkgoeshere:

Code: Select all

[url=linkgoeshere]click here[/url]

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
pockets

Post by pockets »

Harold,
My vote is for the larger size.

Thanks for asking,
Greg B.
When the man at the door said, "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms," I naturally assumed it was a delivery.....

"From my cold, dead hand!" C. Heston