Need Timing belts and pulleys

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

thegallery

Need Timing belts and pulleys

Post by thegallery »

I am in need of some inexpensive timing pulleys and belts for a project. MSC has them, but they seem to be proud of theirs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hawk99

Post by Hawk99 »

Try McMaster Carr online.

I have purchased from them often and have never been disappointed.

Frank
SVS

Post by SVS »

Sent you a pm.

I've got at least 75 lbs of misc. timing pulleys I don't particularly need.

Scott
Charles Cleland

Post by Charles Cleland »

A couple of years ago I had a tool grinding shop grind an old milling machine cutter to the shape of a belt cog and I used an indexer to cut the cogs it took a little math but it worked out fine the two cog pulleys were for a two to one reduction for a hooka rig to dive with.
chaz
Still hanging in there
chaz
spro

timing

Post by spro »

Timing belts of what size? Automotive or the smaller which can be taken out of copy machines etc. I think it's the larger so one standard should be set on. What width? The reason I ask is that in certain configs, different engines there are more combinations of drivers and idlers. The teeth on the idlers rarely go bad but the bearings do and it's easier to replace the whole unit. So what I'm saying is if you have a general idea of the length of the belt and know that the basic ratios of the crank and cam wheels are going to be 1:4, whatever it might be good to pick one that also had the toothed idlers which could become a driver at a ratio more useful.
Charles Cleland

Post by Charles Cleland »

Hi; the belts I am refereing to are about 3/4 in wide .it is used on a 5 H/p gas engine that drives a small oiless compressor the belts are supplyed by Beaing Engineering Co. I can get about any size belt I need there.
chaz
Still hanging in there
chaz
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

Motion Industries is a good source for pulleys and belts. Look on line because they have several different grades / prices available. Much cheaper than MSC.

I have a Motion Industries distributor 20 miles away, in Elgin, so I often drive there and pick up my materials.

From Homosassa Fl,

Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

Also check with Stock Drive Products
Chris -
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
"Check all parts for proper condition before operation; if normal safety precautions are noticed carefully, this machine can provide you withstanding of accurate service."
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

thegallery--

I have bought timing belt stuff from Stock Drive. They sell quality stuff, but it is not inexpensive.

--Bill
You are what you write.
AlphaGeek

Post by AlphaGeek »

I'll add another vote for SDP. Here's the URL:

http://www.sdp-si.com/

They will send you, free of charge, a selection of belt-drive catalogs and reference materials large enough to annoy your significant other when kept in the living room. Ask me how I know. :)

-AG
Rule number one: Everything takes longer and costs more.