A delayed introduction

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

WJH

A delayed introduction

Post by WJH »

Sorry for the late introduction.
My name is Bill, and I love steam locomotives.
As for my screen name, RB211 is a Rolls Royce 3 stage hi bypass gas turbine engine that L1011's, 757's, and 747's use.

My profession is that of a Pilot. I fly cargo in a Cessna 210. Past few days I drove all the way from South West Florida where I was living to Oakland California, where I now live thanks to my current employer.

Sorry to say my machine shop and tools are all in Florida, and some are in NY... See a pattern here? I am only 29 years old, so I have to pay my dues, and my passion of playing in the workshop building steam locomotives will have to wait until I have my own house one day...

On the flip side, I find some peace with myself by virtually building locomotives in Solid Works. Hence the desire for locomotive drawings.

As for tools, I have an X3, SB9, Lathemaster 8x14, X1, and a Taig lathe.
In the past I have owned 9x20 and a 7x14.

I like to soak in information like a sponge and have been building a notebook of notes from all the helpful tips I read on this forum and others. Least I can do to keep my sanity from withdrawal of my tools.

Sometimes I question if I picked the right career, living all over the country.
Mark Hockett

Post by Mark Hockett »

Welcome to the forum! There are many here who enjoy live steam locomotives so you should fit right in. the Bay Area has a great live steam club , Golden Gate Live Steamers, and track in Tilden Regional Park.
Mark Hockett
CarlD

Post by CarlD »

Ummm, the Cessna 210 is nice but my favorite is the 310. I suppose the 210 is much better for hauling freight and more economical.
It's only ink and paper.
WJH

Post by WJH »

CarlD wrote:Ummm, the Cessna 210 is nice but my favorite is the 310. I suppose the 210 is much better for hauling freight and more economical.
Any pilot will tell you they like a twin better. Yes, the 210 cannot be beat for economy, and I cruise around 150kts indicated at around 100lbs an hour, carrying ~1000lbs of cargo.

The Golden Gate live steamers? I will HAVE to check them out, thanks!
WJH

Post by WJH »

Dang!!!! The Golden Gate Live Steamers are only a few miles away from my apartment! Hahaha
Bill Shields

RB211

Post by Bill Shields »

We used to use that engine in ground pounder form to drive generators and pumps.

Some time when you have nothing to do for a few hours, I can tell you about one we received with a wood gas control valve...

Needless to say, wouldn't run worth a hoot...
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

Hey RB211, have a late welcome !! :lol: :lol:
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
WJH

Post by WJH »

Jose Rivera wrote:Hey RB211, have a late welcome !! :lol: :lol:
Thanks!
WJH

Re: RB211

Post by WJH »

Bill Shields wrote:We used to use that engine in ground pounder form to drive generators and pumps.

Some time when you have nothing to do for a few hours, I can tell you about one we received with a wood gas control valve...

Needless to say, wouldn't run worth a hoot...
I'd love to hear it. Those early RB211's had issues for sure!