Coolant for cold cut saw

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

AAA

Coolant for cold cut saw

Post by AAA »

Just cleaned out the sump on our cold saw and was going to refill it.
Any reason I can't run something like Mobil Omega or 766?

As it's used infrequently, the water soluble oil tends to cause the chips sitting in the sump to rust.
Harold_V

Re: Coolant for cold cut saw

Post by Harold_V »

AAA wrote:Just cleaned out the sump on our cold saw and was going to refill it.
Any reason I can't run something like Mobil Omega or 766?

As it's used infrequently, the water soluble oil tends to cause the chips sitting in the sump to rust.
You've been away for a long time. Welcome back!

If you intend to make a change in coolant, might be a good idea to use a sump cleaner first. That will help prevent bacteria and other problems that may arise.

Harold
AAA

Re: Coolant for cold cut saw

Post by AAA »

Hi Harold, yes sir. Don't get much time to frequent the forums these days, pretty much either sleeping or working!
I was lucky that the coolant that was in there was a synthetic one. It didn't smell one bit.
Since I do a lot of threading I've been running Mobil Omega or Mobil 766 on my lathes. This is an excellent sulphur based cutting oil. I was thinking that since a colt saw runs at such low speeds that this type of oil would work great and would stop everything from rusting. Just wasn't sure if the cold saw needed the water soluble stuff for dragging more heat away.