The Resource Library

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

The Resource Library

Post by Harold_V »

Readers,

At the suggestion of one of our regular readers, administration has created a new forum, one where you can go for previous (or current) informative posts that can be helpful in learning shop practices and procedures. I have taken the liberty to move several of the previous posts that appeared in this forum to the new location. They were posted as sticky, so they stayed at the top of the index. That has freed up several slots, so newly placed posts will be in better view.

I hope you find this helpful. Please voice your opinions if you find the change inconvenient.

Harold
hobgobbln

Re: The Resource Library

Post by hobgobbln »

I can't view the post. "You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum."
Davo J

Post by Davo J »

Same here
[Quote]You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum.[Unquote]
Dave
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

hobgobbln wrote:I can't view the post. "You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum."
I have made an adjustment. You should now be able to read that forum. Please leave notice if you are not successful.

Harold
Davo J

Post by Davo J »

Looks like you fixed it Harold, it's working now.
Dave
DarbinCo

Post by DarbinCo »

How about the mountain of sticky's in the lathe forum. Could they be organized under one sticky in the lathe forum called "frequently asked questions" or something.
I have done it elsewhere, you open the sticky and see the post titles and a link under them to go and read.

or
Move them to your new resource library.

One thing I hate is clutter and having to scroll an entire page to see the newest posts and subjects.
AllThumbz

Post by AllThumbz »

DarbinCo wrote:How about the mountain of sticky's in the lathe forum. Could they be organized under one sticky in the lathe forum called "frequently asked questions" or something.
I have done it elsewhere, you open the sticky and see the post titles and a link under them to go and read.

or
Move them to your new resource library.

One thing I hate is clutter and having to scroll an entire page to see the newest posts and subjects.
Not a bad idea-
if everyone agrees, I will implement this.
When I have a chance, I will assemble the links under the topic "Frequently Asked Questions" or "Noteworthy Threads to Read" and ask Harold to make it a sticky. You will then have to click the link to go to the discussion. I thought the way it is now would revitalize a lot of old topics, and it has, but, it has caused clutter.

Can I ask for the consensus among the users? A "FAQ" sticky with links, or the way it is now?
Please let me know.

Thanks.

Best,

Nelson
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I also prefer an "FAQ with links". Having to look way down to find new posts is mildly annoying.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
mechanicalmagic

Post by mechanicalmagic »

I like an "Index".
And another vote for moving all the stickies to the "Resource Library"

Dave J
Every day I ask myself, "What's the most fun thing to do today."
9x48 BP clone, 12x36 lathe, TIG, MIG, Gas, 3 in 1 sheetmetal.
AllThumbz

Post by AllThumbz »

You will now see a post in the "Announcements" section (at the very top) of the "Lathes" and "Milling Machines" groups:

Noteworthy Threads / Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 42&t=86771
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 43&t=86774

That has all the links to noteworthy topics in it.

The other stickies, except for "Welcome to the Lathe Group", have been removed. The screeen looks a lot better.

The thread is locked, so that we can edit it as need be and keep it uncluttered. If you have topics from the Lathes or Milling forums that you want to suggest, please PM me and I will add them.

I will also do the same for the 'Milling Machine' group.

Thanks for the good suggestion!

Best,

Nelson[/size]
DarbinCo

Post by DarbinCo »

I must say that looks a lot better, Thanks !!
AllThumbz

Post by AllThumbz »

DarbinCo wrote:I must say that looks a lot better, Thanks !!

Thank you for the good suggestion....
All of us want to make this place better.

Best,

Nelson