Audels Engineers and Mechanics Guide

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Diesel II

Audels Engineers and Mechanics Guide

Post by Diesel II »

I purchased a nice set of books on Ebay the other day. I thought that I would share the some of the information that was in them. This may be handy to the Steamers that are on this forum since the books contain lots of formulas and illistrations. What I love about these old books is that they do a great job of illustrating the history of our industrial revolution and are written in a manner that explains the theory and operation in terms that even I can understand. The title of the books are “Audels Engineers and Mechanics Guide # Questions Answers and Illustrations”. I believe that a complete set is 1-8. They were copyrighted in 1921,1927. The set that I purchased was a reprint from 1940.
Attachments
Audels Eng Mech Book.jpg
Audels Eng Mech Book (4).jpg
Audels Eng Mech Book (2).jpg
Audels Eng Mech Book (1).jpg
ken572

Re: Audels Engineers and Mechanics Guide

Post by ken572 »

Hello Diesel II,
What a GREAT Find!! :mrgreen: Those books look like they were well taken care of.
Ken.
spro

Post by spro »

Audels had great books for machinists too. I have most of the Carpenters series and many are beside reading when lonely, back when i cared. There was a particular book, the Toolmaker and Handybook which were really cool. There is Machinists' Library Machine shop which is more a compilation. There was Rogers which was excellent.
Then for the epitome of classic knowledge Machinery's Encyclopedia all nine volumes. wonderful. Yet there are certain books more attuned to the steamers and that is a different subject.
A set of books all about RR engineering and political history and all that. Crusty books found in a steamer trunk 20 years ago. These are like from 1919 don't remember. There were some significent displays and engineering drawings about different discussions they had about adopting certain other principles and what became of that. I digress.
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

I've had an old 1927 or 32 edition for quite a while - not very big square, but really thick:

That set you found is excellent. If you don't mind my asking, what did you end up giving for the set? I don't consider my book worth much, and it's way too cool to sell anyway.
Chris -
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
"Check all parts for proper condition before operation; if normal safety precautions are noticed carefully, this machine can provide you withstanding of accurate service."
Diesel II

Post by Diesel II »

I had to give 24.95 for the set plus shipping.
Equipment:Atlas Shaper, Bridgeport Mill, Southbend Heavy 10 Lathe
Prat and Whitney Bench Miller, Jet 13x40 Lathe, Boyar Schultz Surface Grinder
spro

Post by spro »

The old canard "what's it worth to you" is instuctuctive on many levels. Two levels intersect. What may have been 10$ or $400 is irrelevant,for we may look out eyes that we think cannot change. They do and only if we are lucky do we see the changes of many things. It is one thing to get a bargain on Ebay and another to give a fair price to a fellow who is just an older version. By the luxury bought by even younger than the buyer he remained and the books were not rained on.
There are those ways of looking at things which don't appear immediatly.
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

Diesel II wrote:I had to give 24.95 for the set plus shipping.
That's a good deal there.
Chris -
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
"Check all parts for proper condition before operation; if normal safety precautions are noticed carefully, this machine can provide you withstanding of accurate service."
jim rozen

Post by jim rozen »

The audel books are still published. Dollar per dollar I would say they are
among the best technical education out there.