hardinge 4 to 1 dividing head

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pete

Re: hardinge 4 to 1 dividing head

Post by pete »

Thanks for the reminder Wolfgang, Google is usualy my first go to. For some reason this time I neglected to do so. First hit was the full manual for the universal head and the basic tables for using one. That should be all that Josh needs to either try and buy or build the missing parts. The foot stocks seem to turn up sometimes on Ebay, the rest will be tough and very expensive to try and find.
astronrs35

Post by astronrs35 »

Thank you for the information. I will do as you suggest.
spro

Post by spro »

fwiw I have a footstock for a Hardinge DH. This is the earlier model which is open in the center. Serial #235 . I was thinking about modifying it but never could.
astronrs35

Post by astronrs35 »

I would like to see a picture of your foot stock. and how it attaches to the lathe.
spro

Post by spro »

Well it looks about like any other Hardinge footstock/ tailstock for the Hardinge DH to the mill table. The earlier ones are open so they could be tightened at either side. They were also about the right size for a boxing glove.-or perhaps too handy, whatever, so the back wall was closed.
spro

Post by spro »

Fwiw, a few of these Hardinge tailstocks sold on Ebay, April, at relatively low prices. There are a few now. One at 75.00 free ship but its pretty rough. ( item # 282484389300 ) . The seller doesn't even say it is a Hardinge and that was how I found mine. The important thing is that the serial# is 693 B and was still the open style. There is an entire head with most plates and tail is open style. Ideally the #s would match but the sections are separated over time and receive different wear, rust or modification.
astronrs35

Post by astronrs35 »

Ok, so far I have made an allen wrench and a triangle.
spro

Post by spro »

Well that is something and you didn't have to turn the worm near as many times to get the divisions. I noticed that the clamping arrangement is different since the head is more direct drive. You may want to do as I did with tailstocks. Look through many of the plates and see which ones apply. The early tailstocks don't say who made them. The plates surely do but a light coating of rust would obscure that. It is really neat when you find the right stuff because you have the original.