Best Way to Make Keyway for Hub?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Best Way to Make Keyway for Hub?

Post by SteveHGraham »

Here's the whole rig, assembled.

I think I should have cut the motor-side hub down a little more, or maybe tapered it. You have to jiggle it to get the hub into the bearing.

It runs fine. Because the distance between the bearings is so great, you don't have to line things up all that precisely. The bearings allow for a sort of gimbal effect.

The noise is a little unpleasant in the garage, but on the patio, it will be tolerable.

I don't know if I can motivate myself to paint it, but I believe I'll strip the zinc off the pig-contact region, partly to keep lime juice from dissolving it into the food, and partly for fun.

I think the motor-side bearing is totally unnecessary, but it looks nice, and I like stuff that's overbuilt.

I know everyone will want to compliment me on my spotless garage.

I learned one important thing. Some metal was never meant to be drilled. That stuff in the plate is like granite. It grinds okay, but I would not want to drill it again.

I better get outside and squirt the uprights with Eezox.
Attachments
12 21 11 hoginator ii pig rotisserie assembled in garage.jpg
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

SteveHGraham--

Eezox? You use Eezox? I thought I was the only one that used Eezox!

It is great stuff!

I like the over-built look. The bearing is a great addition.

--Bill
You are what you write.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Overbuilt??? Hardly......merely 'robust'.

Where I come from, there's no such thing as over built.

Definition of an Elephant: A horse built in a mine shop.

So.....fear of 'Radioporktivity', and you're gonna get rid of the zinc????
(Probably a good idea I suppose.....)

Looks good....I have filed the pics....may need to build one of those next summer....
:) Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Seal Killer: I got Eezox for guns, I think. It's been a long time. I used a wire brush and grinder to polish up the upright steel tubes that hold the bearings, and I didn't want them to rust again. I guess that sounds silly, considering all the crud on the ancient welding burros that hold the whole mess up. Those are borrowed, though. The parts that belong to me, I might as well maintain.

Warmstrong: if you build one of these things, you might as well get rid of the motor-side bearing. It added a lot of time to the job, and it probably won't do anything.

I don't think my hub design is ideal. I was doing my best to make this thing from crap that was already lying on the garage floor, and I only had short pieces of round aluminum. You could make longer hubs and then put collars on them with setscrews.

I do like the way the hubs are held on the pole. Three half-inch bolts going through the pole into each hub. It's very solid.

If I were doing this again, I'd use a longer pole, to keep everything farther from the charcoal.
Torch

Post by Torch »

SteveHGraham wrote:I know everyone will want to compliment me on my spotless garage.
I can only dream of having a garage as pristine as yours.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

SteveHGraham--
I got Eezox for guns
Ditto.

--Bill
You are what you write.
stevec

Post by stevec »

Steve, I'm concerned (hopefully without reason) with that you may have trouble getting the pig surrounded spit onto and off of yourset-up.
You did say "You have to jiggle it to get the hub into the bearing." but maybe you have a different tack than I envision.
mac.doogle

Post by mac.doogle »

wlw-19958 Will you describe how to make that chisel out of a file please?
Everyone want's a job until they get one.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Here's a stolen cell phone photo a friend of mine took today. For some reason, the pig I ordered had no head. Go figure.

The machine worked perfectly. Absolutely no problems, except that the motor sounded like it was chewing rocks. I don't know if they're supposed to sound like that or what. I wouldn't have minded a steady grinding noise, but it made random noises at odd intervals.

The pole is really too short. I had to improvise high-tech heat shields for the motor and bearings. I took two sheets of aluminum foil and mashed them in place between the charcoal and machinery. No problem.

The charcoal pan is a sheet of Home Depot steel with three bends in it to make it rigid. It's resting on a couple of turkey fryers.

The pig was just magnificent. I threw hickory in with the charcoal, and it combined with the mojo marinade in a way I can't describe. The skin was crunchy and delicious. Juice went everywhere. We also had yuca and mojo (onions and garlic fried in olive oil with naranja agria), frijoles negros, coconut flan, pecan brownies, and lots of rice. All made from scratch. Mind-blowing.

Because the pig was marinated in citrus, I used acid to remove the zinc from the middle two-thirds of the pole.

Unfortunately, I thought I could get away with using Tapcons and wire to hold the pig, and after a few hours, it tried to get loose. We had quite a time getting it to the final temperature. I really need to build proper supports.

Thanks for all the input. This wasn't just Christmas Eve. It was also my dad's 80th birthday, and it was the start of an important new series of events for my church. The rotisserie was a tremendous help.

I hope everyone has a fantastic Christmas and/or other winter holiday.
Attachments
12 24 11 noche buena pig roaster getting ready to rock.jpg
12 24 11 noche buena pig roaster getting ready to rock.jpg (22.01 KiB) Viewed 2334 times
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Video.

warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

No head? Must be a politician type pig!

The Puerco-matic looks good! (sorry....Hoginator II) And no worries from any radioporktivity from any cheap zinc stuff on the spit.....

:) Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I would really recommend a longer pole, and next time I'll make sure the charcoal goes a foot or so past the end of the pig, so the ends cook as fast as the middle!