New Toy!

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

GlennW

New Toy!

Post by GlennW »

I'm in a very damp, humid, area and am constantly battling moisture and rust.

I just got a home type vacuum heat sealer and I'm going to put it to good use!

I just tried it on this ground pin that I made, so it could live in a cabinet until I needed it and I won't have to worry about the exposed steel areas rusting or it getting scratched up. I already have a regular heat sealer, but it just seals the plastic bag and leaves air in there, so the parts still tend to rust a bit over time. Oil and other preservatives help, but nothing seems to stop the problem.

You bag up the part, and the machine draws a vacuum on it and heat seals the edge. It's pretty tough plastic as well.

I have lots of tools and things that only get occasional use that need to stay clean and dry, such as, V-blocks, cylindrical square, ring gauges, grinding mandrels, grinding fixtures, maybe even my spare set of Weber gauge blocks, etc. I have many uses for this sort of thing without even giving it much thought!

This may be the greatest thing since sliced bread! :)

Sorry, simple things like this really excite me...
Attachments
Sealer.JPG
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
mac.doogle

Re: New Toy!

Post by mac.doogle »

Thats a good idea.it beats the heck out of spraying it with WD and then having to clean it up when you need it. Will shelf life be an issue?
Everyone want's a job until they get one.
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Glen , have one those and use it all the time . Great for the freezer and stuff . When it seals it has all ready pulled a vacuum and leaves it conformed to the shape of the piece to be sealed cutting down on storage space . Good idea about storage for rust proofing things . Should work like a charm .
PS .... check E-Bay for bags , a bunch cheaper !
The more I learn , The more I don't know !
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

coal miner wrote:PS .... check E-Bay for bags , a bunch cheaper !
Hello coal miner,

Ahh! Good tip!

I have rolls of plastic right now and just cut off what I need. It came with some bags as well.

Hello mac.doogle,

I don't reall know what the shelf life would be yet. Probably a considerable length of time though.

Thanks!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
RSG

Post by RSG »

Nice unit Glenn. Good idea too as you sometimes forget tools in the crib only to find them a year later all brown. I'm lucky in that department as more than 6 months of the year the humidity is around 40% :lol:
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

It's so much easier here in Albuquerque, You just throw it in a drawer and several years later pull it
out and no sign of rust. :-)
I don't know how you folks in FL, MS, LA, etc do any metal work (at least with steel) :-)
...lew...
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Not sure what you guys are talking about. I store raw steel and machines outside, never been a problem for me. My big G8 8" belt grinder sat outside for years under a HF tarp, cleaned up pretty easily. Well, except getting the dust off... :wink:
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
daved20319

Post by daved20319 »

Here's a tip that might help, Glen. If your machine has an adjustment on the sealing time, use the longer one. Our machine can be set for a 3 or 5 second seal cycle, standard is 3 seconds. This is okay for short term room temperature storage, say up to six months. If it's going in the freezer, I've had seal failures in as little as a couple of months. Use the longer seal time, and I've got stuff that's been in the freezer over a year and comes out just as good as when it went in. Later.

Dave
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Jealousy rears it's ugly head once again...

You guys just wish YOU could grow rust on your parts over night... :D
Glenn

coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Checked my records on buying bags and the last purchase was for 2 rolls of 11" x 50' @ $ 19.00 a roll .That's a lotta bags . As you have already figured out , you can make your own custom sizes by cutting to size and sealing the ends .One thing to keep in mind as something w/ sharp edges will make a hole in the bag by rubbing or hitting something else . I just take a piece of paper towel and fold it around the piece to protect it . Also works to keep liquids from messing up the seal . Might want to wipe it down w/ some Kroil are something first .
The more I learn , The more I don't know !
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Thanks coal miner!

paper towel or similar over sharp edges is a good tip!
Glenn

Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

Glenn Wegman wrote:Jealousy rears it's ugly head once again...

You guys just wish YOU could grow rust on your parts over night... :D
Good one Glenn!
...lew...