Flame-Licker, Fire-Breather, Atmospheric-Engine

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

dgoddard

Flame-Licker, Fire-Breather, Atmospheric-Engine

Post by dgoddard »

Does anyone here know where I can get plans (preferably free) for a Flame-Licker / Fire-Breather / Atmospheric-Engine that is
-- Fairly quick to gather material for
-- Readily fabricated
-- Easy to adjust
I would like to make one in the next 2 to 3 weeks.

A kit with castings might be considered if it is likely to produce a superior result but I believe I have all the necessary stock and could obtain bearings readily.
I never met anybody that I couldn't learn something from.
MoreOldIron4Me

Re: Flame-Licker, Fire-Breather, Atmospheric-Engine

Post by MoreOldIron4Me »

Like this?

Link removed. Please do not post copyrighted material unless you have written permission from the rightful owner.

Harold
dgoddard

Re: Flame-Licker, Fire-Breather, Atmospheric-Engine

Post by dgoddard »

MoreOldIron4Me wrote:Like this?
Pretty much.
I would probably substitute 1144 for the cast iron of the cylinder and piston, (excellent wear and machining properties).
Those tiny screws might be a problem to get and tapping would not be easy at that small size without risk of breaking off a tap and having to make the part over,
Brass for the flywheels I don't have but I have plenty of steel plate of adequate size.
I have plenty of aluminum for the engine frame.
I could use a candle to save time dinking around making the alcohol burner but would wax residue muck up the works?
I might alter some shaft sizes to more commonly available sizes
Clamping the valve spring to the shaft looks pretty mickey mouse and subject to loosening
Getting the cam position correct on the flywheel looks like sloppy design requiring a lot of futzing around to get it and keep it in position.

I think I would like a more reliable looking valve train so it does not get out of whack. If I understand the design accurately, the position of the valve spring and cam are critical and only held in place by friction caused by a nut screwed down tight. That seems unreliable. The person I intend it for would not be very likely to succeed at readjusting it if anything slipped.

This design might do but I would like to look at alternates if anyone has any.
I never met anybody that I couldn't learn something from.