"Green Instrument" Engraving Machine Model 106

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

already-old

"Green Instrument" Engraving Machine Model 106

Post by already-old »

I have had this machine for a long time. I just unpacked it from when I moved 10 years ago. I cant locate my cutters I had for it. Anyone out there may have any loose cutters. Green went under in the early 90s, so as far as I know there is no supply for cutters. The cutters used in this machine are for this machine only. Oddball small taper on shank end.

I need to make some "old man dials" (bigger lettering) for my Myford lathe. if you may have any loose attachments for this machine let me know. I know I can make anything for this machine I need but thought I would try here first.
Thanks

"Oily to bed Oily to rise the life of a man, when a Machine tool he buys"

Some men always thought they wanted build things, what they discovered really, is that they only just wanted to run the machines!
duckman903

Re: "Green Instrument" Engraving Machine Model 106

Post by duckman903 »

If it uses screw in taper bits just make your own taper collets to hold a name your own diameter bits.
ehughes

Post by ehughes »

Hi ao, The bits are #1 B&S taper threaded for a drawbar. There are some currently on ebay, although pricey. I did as duckman suggests & made a 1/8" collet holder. Then a lot of engraving bits available from tool suppliers in hss or carbide. Regards, Earl
already-old

Post by already-old »

Making the collet is what I had in mind. Thanks ehughes for the info that it is a B&S #1. I didnt measure it but figured it for a partial #0 MT.
When it warms up a bit I will make a few of them its only 15*F in my shop right now. Iam just not tough enough to work in that much cold any more!;)). It must be a partial B&S as it is only about .850 in length. I do have one old shank with the bit broken off to compare to. I dont remember what the degree angle of the B&S taper is. Do You?

I seen that one bit on ebay but $22 is a bit expensive for me.

Do you use "D" bits or 1/4 bits?

"Oily to bed Oily to rise the life of a man, when a Machine tool he buys"

Some men always thought they wanted build things, what they discovered really, is that they only just wanted to run the machines!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
RichD

Post by RichD »

See Sherline for B&S 1 collets. These are the Starret pattern with 1/4-20
drawbar thread.
http://www.sherline.com/3060inst.htm
Excellent quality at a very good price.
I use them for CNC engraving. Bits are 1/8" dia or 11/64 common carbide
engraving single lip cutters.
Using collets allows use of other types (endmills) as well.
Happy Rails !
RichD
Colorado Midland Ry Ten Wheeler U/C
Kerr Stuart Wren NG 0-4-0 U/C
www.csppry.org
Imagination is your best tool.
ehughes

Post by ehughes »

Hi ao, i have not done a lot of engraving yet, so far just used a 1/4 bit. have a couple, but they are used & somebody ground on the sides & not sure they are not going to work very well. i think the taper is pretty much full length on the cutters. Regards, Earl
frank23

Post by frank23 »

The green engraving machines are quite useful for engraving a cylinder. As it is not a so complicated thing to design and make yourself if you have the need for mass producing dials with help of the green instruments. They provide a lot of options for engraving.
Johnrj

Post by Johnrj »

I would like to refurbish a Green Model 106 pantograph engraver to use the machine to cut new/replacement wood type. It would be my preference to replace the tapered cutter with an equivalent tapered collet that can be used with 1/8” straight shank cutters such as those used in a Dremel-type tool. The discussion thread indicated the cutter for this machine is a threaded tapered bit with a #1 Brown & Sharpe taper. Earl Hughes posted “… The bits are #1 B&S taper threaded for a drawbar. There are some currently on ebay, although pricey. I did as duckman suggests & made a 1/8" collet holder. Then a lot of engraving bits available from tool suppliers in hss or carbide. Regards, Earl …”.. Can anyone provide me with some advice on if/how I can convert this machine to use generic cutters?

Earl/Duckman, Do you have available information on how you made a 1/8” collet holder?

Any help/advice would be appreciated

John Johnson/Springfield, VA
ehughes

Post by ehughes »

Hi John, Attached are some photos that show the collet & carbide bits which I think came from MSC. I used an original Green bit to set up to cut the #1 B&S taper. The nut is 5/16" hex, thread is 1/4"-28, drawbar thread is 6-40. The bit was too long & had to be cut in half. The last photo is a chuck made by Larry Vanice along with Green bits & a stylus. I have scanned some Green manuals/literature if you would like to have them. Let me know if you need any additional info. Regards, Earl
Attachments
001_01.JPG
002_01.JPG
003_01.JPG
Green engraver chuck (Vanice).jpg
Johnrj

Post by Johnrj »

Earl, Thanks for the post. I am still learning the correct terminology for the engraver parts, so forgive me if I use the wrong words. Your post and the photos match up with a couple of YouTube videos I saw regarding making a mini collet chuck and mini collets. I have a couple of questions about your chuck and collets. I understand milling the shank of the chuck to match the #1 B&S taper for the spindle of the engraver and drilling/threading it to the #6 40tpi for the drawbar. Did you drill the collet end of the chuck for a specific, commercially available set of collets such as those for a Dremel, or did you mill your own collet(s)? For the retaining nut, how does it contact the tip of the collet to squeeze the collet to the shank of the bit? In looking at my Dremel tool, the opening of the tip of the retaining nut is smaller than the threaded opening allowing the nut to push inward/downward on the collet? When I go to my local machinist, should I have the parts done in steel or brass, or does it really matter?

Any scans of manuals or additional information would be much appreciated. I'll post my email address to you on the private message area

Thanks. John
ehughes

Post by ehughes »

Hi John, I made the collet integral with the shank end. It is reamed 1/8". In the first photo the end of collet is coned & there is a matching cone in the nut. The coned portion of the collet is slotted (4 slots which don't show up very well in the photo) to allow the collet to grip the tool when the nut is tightened. For the duty involved, I don't think the material matters. Will send the stuff asap. Regards, Earl