A topic for Glenn or Harold re: metrics

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: A topic for Glenn or Harold re: metrics

Post by Harold_V »

pete wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:57 pm Lol, I was thinking to myself exactly the same when I made that post. :-)

But this sort of proves it's better to stick with the measurement system your most familiar with since it reduces the chances of simple mistakes. NASA even learned that with trying to land one of there expensive probes inside a planet instead of onto it.
That's my posture in this matter. The notion that one system is better than another depends greatly on the level of comfort by which one is used. It would have been VERY unusual for me to have made that degree of error (in my comments, above) if I had been discussing only imperial units.
As far as I'm concerned, go with the devil you know.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
atunguyd

Post by atunguyd »

Harold_V wrote:
pete wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:57 pm Lol, I was thinking to myself exactly the same when I made that post. :-)

But this sort of proves it's better to stick with the measurement system your most familiar with since it reduces the chances of simple mistakes. NASA even learned that with trying to land one of there expensive probes inside a planet instead of onto it.
That's my posture in this matter. The notion that one system is better than another depends greatly on the level of comfort by which one is used. It would have been VERY unusual for me to have made that degree of error (in my comments, above) if I had been discussing only imperial units.
As far as I'm concerned, go with the devil you know.

H
Exactly there is no "better" just what you are used to.
A good example is the base 10 number system. We think it is easier just because we are used to moving the decimal place every power of ten, but if you grew up using binary, hexadecimal or octal then changing places at 10 would be strange to you.
It actually amazes me that different cultures came up with different measuring units yet we all seem to have independently adopted the decimal system.
I guess it could have something to do with ten fingers but then why did one culture not adopt the vigesimal number system (base 20)

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

There are reasons to use use different bases such as
12 packing 10 eggs 2 x 5 was not practical before the manufacture of eggs cartons. a 3 x 4 or a 4 x 4 boxing is more practical
A dozen has better fractional options 1/2, 1/3,1/4, 2/3, and 3/4 of a dozen are all integer, very useful when dealing with eggs or loaves of bread.
Dividing the circle by 6 is easy then dividing each sextant by 2 and so on is easier than dividing the circle by 5, hence the sessagesimale system.
These are unique situation though.
10 is common number in biology, many mammals have 5 digits and sea stars have 5 arms.
But we digress
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
mklotz

Post by mklotz »

atunguyd wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:27 am ...
I guess it could have something to do with ten fingers but then why did one culture not adopt the vigesimal number system (base 20)
The Mayan and Aztec systems were vigesimal...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_numerals

as were many others...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigesimal

"Four score and seven years ago..."
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Lustrum.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Perhaps the Mayan and Aztec could rely on their toes better than we do.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
pete

Post by pete »

Well wearing the sandals they did might have helped. :-)
NP317

Post by NP317 »

...unless these are your feet...
RussN
Hexidecimal toes.jpg
mklotz

Post by mklotz »

The English guinea is 21 shillings. Presumably it was established before clothing was invented.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
pete

Post by pete »

Lol, good one's Russ and Marv.
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

That Myan "notation" is a "sort-of" hybrid base4 twice. :-)
...lew...
rmac

Post by rmac »

I never figured out why the "ten fingers" idea didn't lead to base 11 instead of base 10.