Proprietary carbide inserts ?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Proprietary carbide inserts ?

Post by John Evans »

In my travels I aquired a 1/2 shank insert style tool holder,but no inserts. Insert looked to be simular to the WNMG trigon style ,a buddy did some digging and thought it took a WC** 2** series insert. Went by a local tooling supply and guess what ?? the WC style did not fit. In one of last week's craigslist buys I got several boxes of inserts and a few holders. Low and behold there was a holder and a box of matching inserts and these were the same as my holder needed.
Insert box was maked "KOMET" Germany and the part # started with a "W29" . Googled Komet and the part # and could not find a normal carbide style/type letter designation. Did find a Ebay seller that had those inserts available. And on a closer look my holder was marked Komet. So it looks like a odd ball proprietary Komet only insert. Got a good selection of holders and inserts for my big lathe but the shanks are all to large for my AXA post on the 12" lathe ,so really glad I happened in to these inserts and now know what to buy should I need more.
I was using these inserts experimenting with the 4140 PH that I got from the same guy. Near as I can tell they look the be postive rake and work quite well on this material as long as my DOC is at least .005. really surprised that these seem to be a Komet only inset. Next on the search for inserts is for some 35* diamond shaped ones ,think I need the 2** size as the 3** series I have are too big. The search is on! :lol:
www.chaski.com