Counterboring to Precise Depth

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Counterboring to Precise Depth

Post by SteveHGraham »

I'm still working on an aluminum motor mount for my CNC lathe. I am amazed how long it takes to make such a simple part. It's astounding that people have ever been able to afford anything machined by hand.

Anyway, I drilled and reamed a 1/2" hole down the center of this thing, and the plans call for a 0.625" counterbore at one end, to a depth of 0.188". This doesn't need to be precise at all, but I would like to do it right anyway. What's the best way to do it? My mill has an automatic stop on the down feed, but I don't know how trustworthy they are. On the lathe, they aren't precise.

RE measuring, is this where people tell me I should have gotten depth micrometers by now?

I suppose I could do it with a 4-jaw on the lathe, using thin cellophane to find the surface of the part. But the shape of the part would make chucking it a little hairy.

Reaming was pretty interesting. I got lots of chatter for the first 3/16" or so. Is that because long reamers don't like hanging out of a drill chuck? I believe the chattery part will mostly disappear when I bore it.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
ctwo

Re: Counterboring to Precise Depth

Post by ctwo »

I would bore it on the mill. You have a z-axis DRO? Maybe reference the top surface as you said and bore to depth on the DRO? I imagine the auto stop to be fairly repeatable, but it might be hard setting the precise stop, but I have not used one in so long (and that was just because I don't have one)...
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

The big problem is getting a flat shoulder or whatever it's called. I have to move the boring bar out in jumps, which will leave grooves or humps. I have a 5/8" end mill, but it's about 6" long (long story), so the chatter is off the charts.

I guess I could make something out of 1/2" tool steel.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I think I'll pop the chuck off the rotary table and clamp this thing to it. Then I can use an end mill while turning the table. I can set the depth using cellophane and raise the part using the knee.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Soon, I hope to get used to having a knee...
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

SteveHGraham wrote:I think I'll pop the chuck off the rotary table and clamp this thing to it. Then I can use an end mill while turning the table. I can set the depth using cellophane and raise the part using the knee.
Steve: Keep going and a machinist will be made from a attorney! :lol: Figuring the best way to hold and tool needed for the job from what is available seperates the sheep from the goats.
www.chaski.com
arthur.marks

Post by arthur.marks »

SteveHGraham wrote:RE measuring, is this where people tell me I should have gotten depth micrometers by now?
Naw. Use the depthing rod on a good caliper. Alternately, mount a rod type dial indicator over the workpiece. Take a measurement on the top surface and one at the bottom of the counterbore. Subtract the figures for a precise depth reading.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Here is what I did. Hmmm...the board says the "attachment quota" has been reached, so I guess I'll just have to tell you. I stuck the part on the rotary table with no chuck, and I cut it with a 1/4" end mill.

Indicating the part over the bore in the table was a nightmare. I think shooting for under 3 tenths runout was a little obsessive. I can't really measure the counterbore's diameter with a gauge, because it's too shallow, but the calipers say I'm around 0.630", so I'm happy.

The depth is about 0.191", if subtracting one micrometer reading from another is correct.

I learned something important: don't blow into a bore to knock chips out.

You amateurs may not be aware that aluminum foil is the proper tool to block chips from entering a rotary table bore. It's too bad you can't see the photo so you can learn the proper way.

I'm working on it, John.
rudd

Post by rudd »

Take a 5/8" drill bit. Start the C bore with the drill enough to get the point fully in and a little more, enough so that taper of point is about where you want the flat. Take drill bit out of machine, grind point off *flat*. Reinstall drill bit, make flat at bottom of hole. Go re-sharpen drill bit, or keep it flat and get another with a point.
I'm getting a good little collection of ground off drills for flat bottom holes.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveHGraham wrote: Hmmm...the board says the "attachment quota" has been reached,
Thanks for the notice. Administration has been advised accordingly.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

arthur.marks wrote:Naw. Use the depthing rod on a good caliper.
That's certainly not a great way to measure a depth, although it likely is better than using a ruler. I'd not trust a reading if it had to be precise, as it's all too easy to add error by tilting the caliper slightly. They're just not a great instrument for measuring, not by any of their features.

In my estimation, a caliper is to a micrometer what a ruler is to a tape measure. Better suited for measurements, and fraught with error.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Here's the photo the system regurgitated.
Attachments
06 10 14 counterboring CNC lathe motor mount.jpg