Another "Odd Bit Tale" from Odd Bits Fab & Repair

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Another "Odd Bit Tale" from Odd Bits Fab & Repair

Post by John Evans »

Ya see I have this friend that always over thinks his projects to make them overly complicated and these jobs always come with a roll of toliet paper ! :roll: [If ya get what I mean] I get this call this afternoon on my way back to the house "Ya home? got a little job for you to look at". Guess I'm now a gunsmith :roll: ,need me to modify some 'scope mounts from ?? to fit a 1917 Remington built Enfield in .300 Wetherby mag. He got drawn for this falls Elk hunt so wants a big gun. Got to involved to take pictures but the first step was to try to figure out the radius on the reciver where the mount sits. Used some large [1.25-1.375 ] endmills to make some test blocks in ally ,looked to be about 11/16s. So no mill that size ??? Out with one of my boring heads and with a bit of fiddle farting to get the correct radius set proceded to mill the base surface of the mount. A trial fit to confirm the radius and a measurement to see how much needed to the removed to make it the same height as the front one ,back to the mill and finish.
Whoever drilled the receiver for the 'scope mounts orignally did not get them 100% paralel with the barrel ,sitting a flat bar on them you had a rocking action. Buddy says ??? now what ,I handed him a large smoth cut file and said here!! A few minutes work and things were fine. Clamp screws for the rear mount had a bit of interference with the receiver but a touch with a stone in a die grinder fixed that.
Great he says you up for 'Texas Roadhouse"? Of course says I :D
www.chaski.com