Confesions of a compulsive buyer !

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Confesions of a compulsive buyer !

Post by John Evans »

Well this latest go round started off inocently enough. Been needing a place to park some of my multlipul milling vises without me having to pick them up and carry the dang heavy thing. Scored a 7 drawer machinist bottom box in exclent shape for $75,older Craftsman . It's on wheels so roll it to mill change vise roll it out of the way ,and more drawer storage ! Yipeee!!
Well a friend of a friend had a late friend [clear?] who's Widow wanted his shop cleaned out. We were under the impression it was all or nothing !! Ended up not totally so [down hill for me starts now] !!! I now own a 9X24 EARLY Atlas lathe about 32-33 as near as I can tell. In amazingly good shape with very little wear on bed ways etc. I need this thing like a rubber crutch ! :roll: So it will be looking for a home soon I guess.
Stay tuned you Atlas lovers as I have a extra set of change gears and some lead screw reversing box bits and rocker tool posts when I get a minute to sort and take some pictuers.
Moral of this story ? Don't let me loose around any kind of tools when prices are cheap! :oops: I have no restraint. Is there a 12 step deal for me? Help.
www.chaski.com
hammermill

Re: Confesions of a compulsive buyer !

Post by hammermill »

Is this going to involve meetings?? :D
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

You should have called, I would have been happy to help out, though you are welcome to the Atlas lathe... ;)
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I may be on such an excursion this weekend.

Forget the 12-step program, there is no cure.

Steve
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

It's not a 12 step program, You misheard, it's a 12 machine program. Do You qualify yet?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

mcostello wrote:It's not a 12 step program, You misheard, it's a 12 machine program. Do You qualify yet?
2 lathes, 2 mills, 3 drill presses, 3 grinders, bandsaw, 2 drum sanders, 2 belt/disk sanders, planer/jointer, table saw, miter saw, (do woodworking tools count?)

Steve
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Dang if that's the case I'm a few short. 2 lathes-3 mills -surface grinder-TIG machine-bandsaw- horz bandsaw-MIG welder-air compressor.
Out shopping tomorrow !!

Can I get any credit for 6 dogs?
www.chaski.com
Downwindtracker2

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

What ever you do don't check Cl,, for things like Starret button back kit for $25.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Downwindtracker2 wrote:What ever you do don't check Cl,, for things like Starret button back kit for $25.
Not a big Starret fan ,I like B&S & Mitutoyo. Any Starett stuff I get in my buys gets sold on.
www.chaski.com
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Just picked up a lathe this morning. Not sure what it is - the carriage is a pre-1920 Cataract and the lathe appears to take 3C collets, but the bed is not the familiar 1/2 round shape of the cataract.

Pictures to come shortly.

Steve
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

If I come to a meeting, I will be expecting to come home with a bunch of cutting tools.
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

I just bought an angle drill press vice because I got a 20% off Enco and free shipping one day only. Let me know when the meetings are scheduled. I propose a basic meeting agenda/3 step program. Step 1 would involve searching craigslist, local classifieds and the local free sales paper to identify targets. Step 2 would be go split up and go get stuff. Step 3 would be to then return and compare acquisitions.
Chris -
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
"Check all parts for proper condition before operation; if normal safety precautions are noticed carefully, this machine can provide you withstanding of accurate service."