Hello all, and Jet 1236PS 1236-PS

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

GlennW

Re: Hello all, and Jet 1236PS 1236-PS

Post by GlennW »

swatson144 wrote:On heavy cuts the motor on mine starts to bounce so until I figure it out I'm keeping it down to lighter cuts. I'm thinking kinda a sine plate arrangement with a roller under the motor plate and a clamp to hold it down onto the roller. It wouldn't take much and would be simple and fast to change speeds.
Here's a high tech method!
P1010585.JPG
Did that out of necessity about ten years ago with the intention of making a nice adjuster as soon as I could get "round toit". :|
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
swatson144

Post by swatson144 »

All my pulleys are aluminum and they are balanced as well as I can tell, so probably good enough for who it's for.

Actually I bought a large spring clamp at HF today and it was a toss up between the welding clamps or the spring clamp and of course I chose the one that wouldn't work.

Now I know those will work I'll get a pair and do that until I come up with a nice adjuster and a round2it.

Steve
spro

Post by spro »

Hope you don't mind i put .02 in. The deal is that as the torque at the spindle, heavy cuts, good cuts increases the motor pulley want to climb the belt. That causes interrupted cuts etc. I think this is a position for a shock absorber. The question is where and the answer is everywhere. Those liftback struts which lost their gas pressure are still little absorbers (ymmv). So if I was to get off my backside and cut one down. If I were to collar the body to one point and the rod to another it would dampen rapid shocks without inducing a constant pressure. okay, .01 :)
david parker

Post by david parker »

hello Steve, I just got a Jet 1236PS lathe this week and have also been unsuccessful in finding a manual. If you have a copy that can be emailed, I'd appreciate a copy. My lathe has some problems and I may just sell it for parts. It has a three jaw chuck with three different size jaws, three different size spindle mounting plates, material center support, cross tool support, tail stock with live centers, drill chuck, wrenches, etc. If you know of anyone looking for parts or the entire lathe, send them my way me.

thanks,
David
swatson144

Post by swatson144 »

Sure David it is on my web site.
http://totallyscrewedmachineshop.com/ma ... 28S%29.pdf

Enjoy it I just bought another :-)

Steve
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

I owned a Jet 10-24 PY from 1979 to about 2010. It was a very reliable machine once I installed a nice Aloris style quick change tool holder on the compound rest. That investment made all the difference in the world and I regret not doing it during the first year instead of about 20 years into my ownership of the machine.

I quickly discovered that the RPM chart was all over the place in relation to what was on the spindle speed RPM chart. The 50 RPM slow speed was more like 60 or 70 RPM and when cutting 4 threads per inch, things can get real interesting in a hurry is one is not on task.

I added way wipers to both ends of the tailstock which looked just like the factory wipers. One friend wanted to know why my machine had the extra wipers and his did not come with that option.

Try to keep the bed as level as possible and it will serve you well.

Robert
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

Will this help for electrical diagram. If this picture does not show call me 775-782-3800 I can fax or e-mail it to you. Steve Alley Jet Distubutor
jcarmon

Post by jcarmon »

Charlie W. wrote:
Rex wrote:charlie, your lathe looks a great deal like mine. This one came with no tooling except a 3-jaw chuck and steady rest.
If your orphaned chuck happens to be a 4-jaw, I'd be interested in buying it from you.
Sorry Rex but it is a 3-jaw. I didn't have a 4-jaw for it.

This is the 3-Jaw I still have.

This is the collet closer I had for it.

I made this plug to check the threads in the backing plates I made for it.

Charlie
If you still have any of this hardware sitting around, I could use it.
speedpower09

Post by speedpower09 »

I have just got a 1236ps and would like to get a copy of the manual or any info on this machine thank you
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Did you see Steve Watson's post above? He has a link to the pdf manual.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
swatson144

Post by swatson144 »

I converted mine to 3 phase via a vfd and am loving it. with the baldor motor it no longer bounces and the speed stays consistent. Plus the fact that it is variable and I can really get it slow for those coarse thread jobs.

Anyone looking for the manual it is posted above beside the green avatar like this message has.

Steve
Comstock-Friend

Post by Comstock-Friend »

This manual might be very close to the jet. It works for my Enco 92010...

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g9249_m.pdf

I've bought Grizzly parts from this that fit the Enco.

John