simple qick change tool post

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: Harold_V, GlennW

elewayne

simple qick change tool post

Post by elewayne » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:50 pm

There is a simple tool post I've seen mentioned by some guys name. its just a square block with a round post through it and a height bolt, a slot in the side to mount a tool in. anybody know what that post is called? I saw drawings and sizes somewhere but I cant find it again now. i don't really need the drawings, but I'd like to see them again.

Stefants

Re: simple qick change tool post

Post by Stefants » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:05 am

They’re called Norman style toolposts. There’s an old patent I think and many references to build plans/videos that you can hunt up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

earlgo

Post by earlgo » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:10 am

This is the one I built but I didn't know it had predecessors. This one fits a 10/12 in Atlas/Craftsman lathe compound.
ToolPost dwg.jpg
tool post
There are dimensioned drawings if you wish. PM me and I will send them to you or anyone else interested.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.

pete

Post by pete » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:12 pm

That drawing reminds me a bit of the Swiss made Tripan system Earlgo. Supposed to be as rigid as an Aloris or Dorian with the big advantage over them of having a lot more clearance when getting the tool post and holder in tight to the tail stock casting on our smaller lathes. http://anglo-swiss-tools.co.uk/tripan-tool-posts/ Yours should also do the same.

Lewayne

Post by Lewayne » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:08 pm

Norman Patent was what I was trying to remember. Thanks guys.

earlgo

Post by earlgo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:04 am

pete: This tool block clamps the 5/16" or smaller tool direct without any other complications. The slots are 1/2" wide and 3/8" deep but that is so one can put a clamp pad between the tool and the screw tips.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.

drmico60

Post by drmico60 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:39 pm