worn cross slide repair?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

timsch

worn cross slide repair?

Post by timsch »

I'm looking at a Logan 820 lathe that is claimed to have "cross slide shows sign of wear when traveling". What would typically be involved with correcting this problem?

It's on an older well regarded lathe and if repairable, I'll jump on it.
Grizzly G4015Z 3-1
Harold_V

Re: worn cross slide repair?

Post by Harold_V »

I can't imagine that the worn cross slide isn't representative of the overall condition of the lathe. If it is in need of repair, the balance of the machine can't be too far behind.

While some folks have successfully rebuilt such a machine, how successful they have been is likely questionable. To really "restore" a machine tool is an extensive undertaking, requiring a good knowledge of scraping and having the ability to re-orient fits that are altered by scraping. The relationship between screw and nut is altered, and that can be difficult for the novice to correct successfully. Note that the finish of the machine (paint) has no bearing on the machine's ability to perform its intended purpose. Don't be fooled by a freshly painted machine, which may well be nothing short of junk.

I suggest you consider the ramifications of purchasing such a machine unless you can be satisfied by owning a machine tool that may well have outlived its usefulness. If you have hopes of using the machine, you may be better served by purchasing one that is known to be sound. If you hope for a project machine, this one may just fit the bill perfectly. If so, be prepared to spend money beyond the machine's worth. A re-scraped machine tool of any description is still questionable unless new nuts and screws are (properly) fitted, and they don't come cheap.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
timsch

Post by timsch »

Thanks Harold. I just spoke with the current owner and he did say that the cross slide gibs can be adjusted so that they are either good at the extremes of travel and loose in the middle, or good in the middle & tight at the extremes, so it has definitely seen some use in its day. He also mentioned that the bull gear was missing.

I am a novice, so any repair would be a learning experience. I have some skills, but don't need to be throwing good money into bad. I've read good things about the Logan lathes, so would love to upgrade from my Grizzly 3-1, but it's not a rush.
Grizzly G4015Z 3-1
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

You can expect the bed to have similar wear for both the carriage and the tailstock unless the ways are flame hardened. It may or may not be obvious. How does the tailstock align with the spindle? When there's excessive wear you can expect the centerline to be low and the quill may even have a tendency to run downhill. All depends on how the owner kept the tailstock ways oiled and if it was moved when the ways were dirty. That really accelerates wear. I make it a habit to wipe and oil the ways before moving my tailstock, especially if the machine has been idle for a day or more. Dust in a shop is generally abrasive.

If you live in an area where machine tools are often available, keep your eyes open for something better.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
timsch

Post by timsch »

Thanks again Harold. I appreciate the experienced opinion(s). I live in the Houston area, so there's no shortage of machines. I probably need better, or at least more varied, sources than just Craigslist for tools like this.
Grizzly G4015Z 3-1
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Sometimes a widow needs to dump her toolmaker husband's shop.

My nephew got an entire shop for $4000...most of it virtually brand new and excellent quality.

Patience....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.