Allen lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

diplomat22

Allen lathe

Post by diplomat22 »

New to site, hello everyone. I'm looking for info on this lathe I got at a barn sale for $150, barn was right out of American pickers show. It was advertised as an Allen armature lathe but has a 3 Jaw chuck and a 3' bed. eeds a good clean up and everything seems tight. I found one site from Britain that has the same one and some operating info. Apparently has auto feed. if I can figure it out. Hope someone can help cheers. How pic makes it onto this.
Attachments
lathe.jpg
lathe.jpg (23.62 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
lathe%20resize.jpg
SteveM

Re: Allen lathe

Post by SteveM »

You should post the other picture as a reply to this one and not a new topic. That way everything is in one place.

Steve

Correct. New threads should be discouraged when they are by the same author and on the same subject. I have moved the picture in question to the above post.

Harold
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Allen made automotive tools and teasters for electrical work. Your lathe looks like it has no half nuts so no threading ,can't tell if any form of power feed. most likely very limited usuabilty for other than turning www.lathes.co.uk/allenelectricequipment
www.chaski.com
dly31

Post by dly31 »

Although made for turning armature commutators, that lathe will do general lathe work with the exception of threading. I am not sure but it looks like the power feed disconnect may be the long collar near the left end of the leadscrew. If that chuck in the tailstock is the Jacobs armature chuck with brass jaws it is quite desirable and expensive. The adjusting collar is in two pieces. One piece adjusts the jaws for a close fit on the armature shaft and the other is a lock ring.
Don Young
diplomat22

Post by diplomat22 »

It is a Jacobs No. 36 chuck with no.2 Morse taper. The auto feed seems to work up to a point, if I turn the 3 jaw chuck by hand and engage the knob on headstock end to engage auto feed after 5-6 full rotations it seems to bind and then starts to disengage the worm gear at the bottom. I picked up an old treadmill and will try and power it with the motor and use the control panel for variable speed control. I'll try maybe a controller also to be able to go in reverse to move cross feed. To mo it now you have to use hand crank by tailstock.
dly31

Post by dly31 »

Do not run the lathe under power until you fix whatever is binding in the feed gears, since anything you damage can probably not be replaced. Sounds like there might be something in the gears making it bind, try cleaning and inspecting carefully. You may have to take it apart somewhat but it should be pretty simple to do.
Don Young