Review of Multifix Toolpost from Create Tool.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Re: Review of Multifix Toolpost from Create Tool.

Post by John Evans »

Splat wrote:Finally getting around to a boring job down the road. I have the "A" size set from Create with the H2085 boring/turning tool holder and wondering how to hold a 1/4" boring bar in it. I was thinking of cutting in half an appropriately diameter hex rod to use as a shim under the boring bar. What are you guys using? Thanks.

Just use a regular turning holder, with a shim over or under as needed. I have modified several of the plain turning holders with a small V groove ,like the Aloris turning/boring holders. Easy to do with a carbide end mill.Or make a split sleeve to increase the 1/4" dia. to a suitable size.
www.chaski.com
pete

Post by pete »

Fwiw Forrest Addy who's now a retired professional machinist with a huge amount of experience thought they were pretty good on a long running post over on the Practical Machinist site. And I've got a good friend in the UK whos also a machinist and CAD designer for a pretty high tech company there who bought a set last year for his home lathe and he likes them very much.
Splat

Post by Splat »

Oh, the Multifix is the way to go. No messing with the top nut to rotate the whole post and tool.I'm going to pick up a few more holders down the road before they possibly get more $.
Weedy64

Post by Weedy64 »

Create Multifix here too: An A size set for my 10K and a C size set for my Monarch. Nice and rigid and repeatable for dialing in a roller with stub axles.