Which asian lathe???

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

WJH

Re: Which asian lathe???

Post by WJH »

I have a lathe master 8x14 lathe. I Love it but if I had to do it again, I would of gotten a 12x36 or a used 10ee. Just get a 12x Asian import at least and be done with it
revrnd

Post by revrnd »

RB211 wrote:I have a lathe master 8x14 lathe. I Love it but if I had to do it again, I would of gotten a 12x36 or a used 10ee. Just get a 12x Asian import at least and be done with it
Machining was a secondary portion of my job. Most of my time was on larger lathes probably 17 x 40 or slightly larger. We had two 12 x 36 lathes in our satellite cribs. For the smaller work we dealt w/ in those areas, they were fine for the work we needed to do (including some gov't jobs). I've never used a smaller lathe, but I wonder if going w/ a "smaller" lathe might lead to the desire for a larger lathe down the road?

In the RV world this is commonly known as "two footitis". You buy a trailer & after a year or so of ownership, you want/need a slightly longer trailer.
Last edited by revrnd on Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WJH

Post by WJH »

revrnd wrote:
RB211 wrote:I have a lathe master 8x14 lathe. I Love it but if I had to do it again, I would of gotten a 12x36 or a used 10ee. Just get a 12x Asian import at least and be done with it
Machining was a secondary portion of my job. Most of my time was on larger lathes probably 17 x 40 or slightly larger. We had two 12 x 36 lathes in our satellite cribs. For the smaller work we dealt w/ in those areas, they were fine for the work we needed to do (including some gov't jobs). I've never used a smaller lathe, but I wonder if going w/ a lathe might lead to the desire for a larger lathe down the road?

In the RV world this is commonly known as "two footitis". You buy a trailer & after a year or so of ownership, you want/need a slightly longer trailer.
I say 12x size because you get a cam lock spindle, a thru hole thats more useable, more mass for rigidity, quick change gear box, easy spindle speed changes, cross feed, did I mention mass?, more room to mount glass scales for a DRO, ability to use carbide indexed tooling, larger chucks that use 2 piece jaws for use with soft jaws, etc, etc, etc... Yes, my advice is 12x import... Same thing with mills, I own an X3 sieg, its the absolute smallest I'd ever go, really want a nice knee mill...
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

revrnd wrote:Machining was a secondary portion of my job. Most of my time was on larger lathes probably 17 x 40 or slightly larger. We had two 12 x 36 lathes in our satellite cribs. For the smaller work we dealt w/ in those areas, they were fine for the work we needed to do (including some gov't jobs). I've never used a smaller lathe, but I wonder if going w/ a "smaller" lathe might lead to the desire for a larger lathe down the road?
It's pretty simple, revrnd. Size a lathe according to the work you intend to do, not for the largest possible job that might rear its head in the next twenty years. An oversized lathe, at least in the hands of one who understands proper machining, would be a horrible thing to be tied to if your work revolves around smaller sized items. Large chucks don't deal well with gripping small pieces, and surface speeds tend to suffer. And, the cost of buying accessories spins out of control quickly as size increases.

There's always going to be a job that's to big for your machine, regardless of the size you may select. Armed with that logic, buying an oversized machine so you can avoid the occasional inconvenience makes a whole lot less sense than buying one that best suits your daily needs, so you aren't inconvenienced daily.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
boardrider247

Post by boardrider247 »

Harold_V wrote:
revrnd wrote:Machining was a secondary portion of my job. Most of my time was on larger lathes probably 17 x 40 or slightly larger. We had two 12 x 36 lathes in our satellite cribs. For the smaller work we dealt w/ in those areas, they were fine for the work we needed to do (including some gov't jobs). I've never used a smaller lathe, but I wonder if going w/ a "smaller" lathe might lead to the desire for a larger lathe down the road?
It's pretty simple, revrnd. Size a lathe according to the work you intend to do, not for the largest possible job that might rear its head in the next twenty years. An oversized lathe, at least in the hands of one who understands proper machining, would be a horrible thing to be tied to if your work revolves around smaller sized items. Large chucks don't deal well with gripping small pieces, and surface speeds tend to suffer. And, the cost of buying accessories spins out of control quickly as size increases.

There's always going to be a job that's to big for your machine, regardless of the size you may select. Armed with that logic, buying an oversized machine so you can avoid the occasional inconvenience makes a whole lot less sense than buying one that best suits your daily needs, so you aren't inconvenienced daily.

Harold
Right now this is my thinking. Yes a bigger lathe would be nice to have. But with the additional cost's involved with a bigger machine I have a hard time justifying it, especially when the majority of the parts I will be making would be better suited to a smaller machine.

For now I'm concerned with the quality of the lathe I'm buying not necessarily the quantity.
Carm

Post by Carm »

I'm going to differ with Harold. It's easier to do small work on a big lathe than big work on a small. There are ways around the SFPM limitations and workholding.
I don't have an Asian lathe, but do have a couple wood machines from Grizzly, one purchased when Mr. Balolia (sp) started in Bellingham. Their service is outstanding and hassle free.
If you buy old iron, look for a long bed. A proxy spindle can be mounted where there isn't much wear, usually worse near the headstock.

RB211: A sidetrack here. You say that's a cam lock (D series) which one? What is the bearing configuration, and what is the high end RPM?
WJH

Post by WJH »

If you look at the specs, most are d1-4 in the 12x36. Grizzlies deluxe 12x36 gunsmith lathe has nsk bearings and d1-5 cam lock. What I don't like are the speed ranges offered on Grizzlies 12x lathes.
All of them look to be angular contact roller bearings.
1400 top rpm for Grizzlies.
Precision Mathews has a nice line of Lathes.
boardrider247

Post by boardrider247 »

RB211 wrote:Precision Mathews has a nice line of Lathes.
Indeed.
http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1030.html
A 10x22 with power cross feed.
Has anyone had experience with their customer service? That is another plus to buying a grizzly being they are a bigger seller better equipped to offer support after purchase.
Patio

Post by Patio »

The other tell tale sign I have noticed in the difference of the better quality lathes, is they have longer head stocks and the carriage is wider. I am sure it is all about leverage against the forces at play.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
silence dogood

Post by silence dogood »

Harold V makes an excellent point. I have a friend whom owns several watch maker lathes. Why? because all he works on are small mechanical clocks. My biggest lathe is a Lathemaster 8x14 and it suits me just fine. One thing that I will add is what ever lathe you buy, make sure that tooling is easily available. Mark
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Carm wrote:I'm going to differ with Harold. It's easier to do small work on a big lathe than big work on a small. There are ways around the SFPM limitations and workholding.
I respect others opinions in regard to lathe size, but I can tell you without question, making small parts on a large lathe is not a good idea, and that's based on years of doing that very thing. It gets old fast. Very fast. So much so that I investigated buying a Levin lathe, although that plan never materialized.

I've spent the majority of my life in the shop making small parts, as that was my specialty (business name Micro-Precision Manufacturing). It was difficult enough doing so on a 12" machine. I can't tell you the number of times I wished I had a faster spindle (up to 4,000 RPM would have been nice). I even halved the feed rate of the Graziano, so the lathe was better suited to small work.

I'd hate to think what I'd have gone through with a larger one, especially considering they tend to have slower spindle speeds and greater feed rates. I still maintain that a guy should size a machine according to need. It's not fun wrestling with chucks that can't be handled without a crane, or trying to achieve a nice surface finish on a machine that has feed rates beyond reason for small work, to say nothing of running well below recommended spindle speeds, with a large chuck whizzing past your left ear as you try to observe the work. You can equate this to buying a nice pickup truck as opposed to a diesel tractor trailer. If all you're going to do is haul a bag of cement mix, the 18 wheeler is way overkill, and gets in the way most of the time. Neither is right or wrong, it's just that one is far better suited to the application.
RB211: A sidetrack here. You say that's a cam lock (D series) which one? What is the bearing configuration, and what is the high end RPM?
I'm not convinced the D size matters much. My Sag 12 Graziano is fitted with a D1-4, and it's not the lathe an EE is, which is fitted with a D1-3. If you've not operated an EE, it's hard to understand the degree of rigidity it offers, in spite of the smaller fitting.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Carm

Post by Carm »

Harold
Your points are inarguable and well presented. My comments on this forum aim at the home shop that perhaps has budget and or space for only one lathe and the owner/user gets into a range of work.
"Asian lathe" may have implied smaller machines but of course Asia makes all sizes of equipment and if space to place it is NOT the constraint, a lot more lathe can be had for not a lot more money, whether Asian made or "old iron".

I asked about the D spindle on RB211's lathe as I'm kicking around an idea and want that mount, I can probably buy a replacement spindle cheaper than I can make it, even discounting my time.
Yes the Monarch is a nice machine, but I sold mine along with my K&T mill. Bed too short and the real killer, problems with the MG. I greatly admire rebuilders and restorers but chose to make parts with my time. The K&T sat too much, I have another mill.