Am I crazy? Shipping a lathe from Oakland to Tampa?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Re: Am I crazy? Shipping a lathe from Oakland to Tampa?

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Get several freight quotes from different freight consolidators. You will probable find a large price difference- up to 50% difference, sometimes from the same forwarder, if you tell them -" that's to high, what else can you do?" At least that was my experience shipping a live steam engine to the West Coast recently. A lot of the carriers use independent truckers and competing companies, whom all set their own prices. So call around for best rates.

also, and do not underestimate this! You will need some serious material handling equipment to load and unload the lathe and mill. Most lift gate delivery trucks can handle 2400# max weight on the hydrolic lift gate. Once it's on the ground, you will need some way to lift off the pallet and place in position. A 4 ton pallet jack is great, and a 2 ton engine hoist works, but is a bear to push around. If the mill is heavy and as big as you describe, renting a forklift on both ends might be your only solution.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
WJH

Post by WJH »

My mind is not made up yet. I may drive there as a road trip and just bring back the lathe myself in the back of a van or small trailer
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Multiple items to ship?

Look at buying or renting a 20 ft container and stuffing it full.

On our last move I did that and had a mill, lathe, other shop and garden stuff - it was full - in the container; 20,000# worth. About $2000 for the haul if I recall. Add a few hundred at each end for a crane to load and unload the truck.