Help with SB large dial upgrades

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

haggard616

Help with SB large dial upgrades

Post by haggard616 »

Warning- A few, if not all of you may raise an eyebrow at this-
My 8" SB 408 model has very small 3/4" dials. They are worn and very hard to read. I need large dials. I want to make this as painless for ME as possible. In my particular situation, I'm new to the lathe, but I consider myself a skilled welder.. You probably already see where I'm going with this. I can easily do the basic on a lathe, ie- turn diameter. Is it possible for me to splice in a section to the cross feed screw assembly so I don't have to completely machine a whole new setup? I don't believe I'm ready for the task, but besides that, I don't have a steady/follow rest, or a mill. I do believe I could turn some dials.. But I'll most likely buy some as I don't have a # punch set either. I would use oxy/ace for the welding btw. I'm not entirely sure what work this would entail or if it's even possible so that's why I'm asking here instead of getting ahead of myself.
haggard616

Re: Help with SB large dial upgrades

Post by haggard616 »

Actually, I will turn the dials myself. Like I said, I'm getting ahead of myself. I do that a lot. Anyway, I just realized I was thinking of buying dials because I don't have a # punch set. Well, for the price of the dials, maybe even cheaper, I could buy a punch set, make the dials myself, and the punch set pays for itself in a way.
Moving on-
spro

Post by spro »

Larger dials are good. You have to look forward to where the compound swings over the cross slide. Interference.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Keeping in mind I am not familiar with SB lathes, I fail to understand where welding is a requirement. Can you post a picture of the area in which you hope to install a larger dial? Seems to me you could easily press fit (or Loctite) a larger one over the existing dial, so the only thing you'd have to do is make the dial with the proper ID. No welding involved.

Do pay attention to what spro said. Dial size is limited by the compound rest unless you don't care if you lose the ability to rotate the rest such that it interferes with the new dial.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
tommy1010

Post by tommy1010 »

Go to the practicalmachinist web site and search large dial upgrade. Everything you want to know. Also, if you are going to do it yourself watch youtube Mrpete222 or tubulcain (same guy). great video on making dials using a saw blade for indexing.