New to me Cazeneuve HBX 360 Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

liveaboard

Re: New to me Cazeneuve HBX 360 Lathe

Post by liveaboard »

I just had a close call, wife came in and almost caught me looking at those pictures.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Some more time in the shop tonight, and the controls are done! I even turned some delrin, to make plugs for a could of holes.

Here are some pictures of how the power controls and indicating lights work. This is not an original set up and will change a bit somewhere down the road, but for now it is all good to go.

On the left side of the lathe is a main power switch, when that is on the white light comes on and stays on as long at there is power to the lathe. Like this!
20151006_205136a.jpg
On the right hand side of the lathe is a key switch, when that is turned on, it powers up two VFDs. One that runs the small hydraulic pump, that lubricates the head stock, lead screw and gear train. The second VFD runs the spindle. When the key is initially turned on the lathe is in the stop mode and the red indicator light on the stop switch is illuminated. Like this!
20151006_205156a.jpg
When the orange, run button is pressed, (It is the color I had on hand)it lights up, the spindle VFD becomes active and the red light on the stop button goes out. At this point the spindle may be turning or not depending on the setting of the speed control. The speed control it the knob on the far left. It will then look like this!
20151006_205208a.jpg
In this picture the display indicates the spindle is running at 26 Hz but it could be at 0 Hz just as well. That is why I wanted indicator lights to tell me the state of the machine.

The machine is capable of running at 3000 RPM. At 60 Hz the machine runs about 2000 RPM, and that seems pretty fast to me, so I have not set the limits to allow it to run at 3000 RPM yet. Maybe as time goes by and I get use to the operation of the lathe, and a need for the higher speed presents itself I will change that. It is just a matter of changing a parameter in the VFD.
The middle black switch is for forward and reverse, as can be seen by the original labeling above it on the plate. The labels above the white indicator light was for a hydraulic chuck, that was an option for this machine. The PV / GV label, I have no idea what that was suppose to indicate. Maybe for the flood coolant, I don't know. Maybe one of you might know?

Now I just need to figure a method to safely raise the lathe enough to get it on rollers, so I can move it against the wall.

More to come as it gets done.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

The lathe has been move into position, against the wall. I did it with a 3' pry bar, moving it about a half inch at a time. I took me some 15 to 20 minutes to do. Worked one end a bit and then the other. It was easy to do, with out having to lift it totally off the floor. It also means that it is easy enough to move back out, if I ever need to do maintenance. I still need to level it and do a final setting of the tailstock.

It has been a long few weeks to get to this point. Now I just need to clean up the shop and figure out how to get everything back inside for winter. I am happy to be to this point of the operation. I shall soon be back at the other project that I would like to do, like the latest bike I just bought. More about that in other a different thread. :)

I will post some more pictures of the lathe soon.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
spro

Post by spro »

Patio. I'll say it again, Thanks. More than that, it is a certain person who can figure out and post pictures along the way. Then you already got it moved. :D
Patio

Post by Patio »

Just took a look and it has been two months to the day since I bought the Cazeneuve lathe. Tonight I finally have things mostly back to normal condition, in the shop. Both bikes are back indoors and locked up for the night.
There is still much to be done on the shop, lathe and bikes, but I am very happy to have reached this point in the process. :D

Thanks everyone for the interest in the lathe, it does help motivate me to keep things going and to take pictures, to document the process.

More to come, as it happens! :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
pete

Post by pete »

I'm forced to keep reading this thread. I'm green with envy, but in the nicest way possible if that makes any sense? Like Harold said, one of the nicest and most desirable lathes ever seen here. And from my perspective? At least in the top 3 out of all the lathes I've seen on any forum over a hell of a lot of years.

Pete
Patio

Post by Patio »

Pete, it makes sense!
Spro, I am glad you are enjoying the pictures. They are not hard to post, if one follows Harold's write up about posting them.

I made a plug for the left end of the spindle, to keep chips from entering into the cabinet, with the motor and pulleys.
20151017_134155a.jpg
Installed!
20151017_134221a.jpg
In the picture above the split nut, with the 4 grubs screws, is not an original part and was made by the PO. It is used to set the preload of the spindle bearings, which I believe to be a bit on the tight side. There was a tube, that use to screw onto the end of the spindle, act as the lock nut, for the preload nut, and ran to the left outboard side of the lathe, allowing the chips to travel through it and fall onto the floor. I have ordered the proper spindle preload nut and keepers. I will use the new nut to make a male counterpart, that will allow me to make a temporary lock nut for the preload nut. Then I can set the preload and use the new lock nut while I use the lathe to make a new spindle extension.

There are a couple of other parts that are missing, that I will make in time. At the moment I am still learning the lathe and getting it set up to work.

I decided to change the headstock oil and am I glad I did. I found 3 dead mice in the front oil galley. There are two oil galleys divided by a baffle. The way the lathe was set up when I got it, the return line and the pump, where both in the front galley with just a screen to filter the oil as it enters the pump. I am moving the pump to the back galley and installing an automotive type oil filter to the system. There was originally, a filter on the end of the suction tube, that went to a pump that was on the end of the motor.
Here are some pictures of the oil galleys and the mounting if the oil pump to the rear galley cover.

Where the pump use to set.
20151022_204825a.jpg
Front galley.
20151022_204654a.jpg
Rear galley.
20151022_204730a.jpg
Next post, this one is full!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Continued from above!

Where the pump will set.
20151022_204712a.jpg
Making the mounting holes, using a boring head.
20151026_205335a.jpg
20151026_205659a.jpg

None of the feature required close tolerances. I did want to use the bolt hole circle function of the DRO so I set the plate at a 45* angle, making is easy to mount on the table of the mill. So here is my quick alignment gauge. I had to eyeball it as the plate is sitting up on parallels.
20151026_205940a.jpg

The pump, mounted to its plate and bolted in place.
20151026_212540a.jpg
Next is mount the filter, once the part arrives and run some new lines.

More to come as it happens! :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Oil filter for headstock and gear oil is now installed and the oil galley is filled with new oil.
20151031_134336a.jpg
The oil flows out of a tube, with metering screw in the end of it, into the gear box and can be seen in the upper left hand portion of this picture. The vertical streaks in the picture, above and below the gear are oil drops. The oil drops on the upper gear and is transferred to the rest of the gear train while under operation. The oil then fills this upper galley until it over flows the fitting and drains back into the lower galley via a tube.
20151031_134425a.jpg
This is the plate for the front oil galley, that the oil pump was mounted to when I bought the lathe. I got to spend some time with the lathe, getting use to how it runs, while making a few press fit plugs out of acetal, for all the holes.
20151031_173543a.jpg
Here the plate is installed. The plug with the wire loop, is the dip stick for checking the oil level.
20151031_173815a.jpg
The spindle nut as arrived in the U.S and is on its what here.

More to come as it happens!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
spro

Post by spro »

I admire how you have captured the original intent of the engineering and improved it over what you saw.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Thanks Spro, just trying to keep the machine alive. Hopefully for years to come, as I am not retirement age yet and don't intend on buying another lathe.

I did get a chance to turn a 1"X16 thread in Al. on it today. It is a mount for an eagle, on a flag holder, for one of my motorcycles. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

I have discover a problem with the lathe.
It splits the threads, and I don't know why.
This is not a normal type of lathe, as its design allows it to cut threads without the use of a thread dial. It does it by direct gearing and to on automatic stop.
The lathe comes with a shear pin in the drive,in case of a crash, and the pins are in good condition.
It also splits the threads even with out using the stops.
The lathe uses a worm wheel, against the lead screw to drive the system while threading. The threading lever has a nice positive feel to it when it engages for threading.

I have a post over on the PM board. There are a couple of guys that have one of these machines, so I am hoping one of them may know something.

I will entertain all thoughts on why this may be happening.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!