Voltage for E-Stop off of a Hitachi VFD?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

dannys

Voltage for E-Stop off of a Hitachi VFD?

Post by dannys »

I have a Hitachi NE-S1 Series VFD http://www.clrwtr.com/Hitachi-NE-S1-Drives.htm temp wired for now on my Bridgeport Jhead. I got rid of the original control and am running the machine right from the VFD and it runs just fine. I have a safety switch routed to the VFD on the wall then from the VFD directly to the machine, but I want to have an E-Stop on the machine. I found an IDEC single E-Stop Button http://www.clrwtr.com/IDEC-XW-Series.htm in an enclosure on ebay for a good price but I don't know what the output voltage from the VFD is? I read all the literature for the VFD but couldn't find anything about the output voltage. The "lugs" for all the control accessories are really small so I'm guessing I need a low voltage E-Stop? I am not an electrician and I probably left some information out but I would really appreciate any advice as I really want to have an E-Stop on the machine and don't want to buy the wrong one.
Pennsy fan

Re: Voltage for E-Stop off of a Hitachi VFD?

Post by Pennsy fan »

From what I read they don't have an e stop option. And to change some parameters you need their programming software to do it, but still may have not be able to add it.
I will say the VFDs never want the high voltage opened to operate the motor, and unless you put a braking resistor on , your spindle will stop fast enough. Mine is setup with start and stop and it works just fine, your Bport will stop in a crash with the same damage with or with out an E stop.
rrnut-2

Re: Voltage for E-Stop off of a Hitachi VFD?

Post by rrnut-2 »

The E-Stop (Stop) circuit is 24vdc. The E-Stop switch will be wired using one contact as a normally closed switch to terminal one as shown in the
schematic. Just bear in mind that this is a Stop circuit, not an E-Stop circuit. There is a difference. You will have to do some programming
to have this function right. On my BP Clone, I have a 4 push button pendent wired up for Stop, Run, Forward/Reverse and a "Motor Running"
light. I also have the drive set up to decelerate in 1 sec; read "too lazy to reach for the brake".

Jim B