Picked up a Sherline

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Picked up a Sherline

Post by SteveM »

Saw an ad for a Sherline lathe for $150. They usually go for closer to $400 around here, so I figured I take a look.

Has a little surface on the bed and the chuck, but other than that, it's in fine shape.

I've been on the lookout for a heavier lathe to replace my Atlas Craftsman 12x36, and this is definitely not in the right direction, but I figured at that price, I couldn't turn it down. My kid can learn on it without my worrying that the chuck is going to grab him, pull him in and beat him up.

It's a model 4500 with the zeroing dials.

Looks like a fun little tool.

Oh, and if anyone locally is looking for an Atlas lathe, let me know.

Steve
WesHowe

Re: Picked up a Sherline

Post by WesHowe »

I hope you didn't hurt your back.

Sorry, I couldn't resist that title :)
spro

Post by spro »

Steve. Your son will surprise you with things he turned by your mentorship. This has to be one of the Joys of being a parent. Good move! :)
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Wow, great find. Perhaps you know about Clickspring? He does a whole series of you tube videos forfor Sherline. Here is one your boy might enjoy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MmGzzZEFSJU

Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Glenn Brooks wrote:Wow, great find. Perhaps you know about Clickspring? He does a whole series of you tube videos forfor Sherline. Here is one your boy might enjoy.
Yes, it's pretty amazing what he's done on one. He also has a chicom 7x12.

Some of the guys over at Practical Machinist were commenting about how good his work and videos are, then one asked "what kind of lathe is he using". I replied "We can't say, or the thread will get locked" because it's verboten to talk about home shop machines :-)

Steve
Conrad_R_Hoffman

Post by Conrad_R_Hoffman »

We have a few Sherlines at work and they can do a very good job within their envelope. If you buy two threading attachments, you can compound them and cut crazy fine pitches. If I had to complain, it would be that the lead screw is always engaged, no half-nuts, so you spend a lot of time cranking!
Conrad

1947 Logan 211 Lathe, Grizzly G1006 mill/drill, Clausing DP,
Boyar-Schultz 612H surface grinder, Sunnen hone, import
bandsaw, lots of measurement stuff, cutters, clutter & stuff.

"May the root sum of the squares of the Forces be with you."