Sending a program to PC

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

dnguyen804

Sending a program to PC

Post by dnguyen804 »

Hello everyone,

Let me start by saying that I'm not a machinist. I'm an IT administrator for a company that uses such equipment. I'll try to be as descriptive as I can with my question.

Our machinist does not have a problem sending a program from his PC to the lathe. He can send a program from the lathe to the PC, but for some reason a different program is sent.

Let me give you an example. There are 10 programs that are saved in the memory of the lathe. He can view and edit programs that are saved into memory. When he tries to send a program from the lathe's memory to a PC, it would only send program number 0001. If he tries to send program 0005 to the PC, program 0001 is sent instead. It seems like any program in memory needs to be renamed to 0001 in order to be sent.

He claims that this problem didn't exist the day before.

The software that he is using is GeoPath and the lathe is a Hyundai WAI LV800R.
SteveHGraham

Re: Sending a program to PC

Post by SteveHGraham »

Welcome! Have you tried the forum at Practicalmachinist.com? This is a hobby forum, and while there are some very knowledgeable people here, Practical Machinist is for professional machinists, and there are probably people there who use that very lathe.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Welcome to the board.
As Steve suggested, this is a hobby forum, although we have amongst our readers one of the better CNC people in Bill Shields. With luck, perhaps he'll respond and have a solution to your problem, which sounds rather strange.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

In another life (1980's) when I was programming for a Cincinnati Milicron Mill we had a PC to Mill and PC to lathe DNC (Direct Numerical Control) system. We didn't have many problems with this after it was set up properly.
When we did have problems, the first call was to the machine tool/controller service guy, and he would stop by and fix the problem. I would highly recommend this route as it will cost money but save time and money in the long run. Time = money in the manufacturing business.
Just my 2 cents.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.