Power feed drilling.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Hasler

Re: Power feed drilling.

Post by John Hasler »

Harold_V wrote:
John Evans wrote: No room for a radial. :cry: A year ago a Giovanni Breada [sp] came up for sale on clist here for $1000,my tool dealer friend bought it. Nice, 6-8" column as I recall was in really good condition.
I feel your pain.
While it would be hard for me to justify owning one, there was a beauty that went in an auction up here about a couple years ago. Wish I could remember the details, but I do recall it would have been perfect for the smaller shop. I'd have loved to have added it to my collection, but then I'd love to add a centerless grinder, too. No end to my hopes and dreams, or so it seems. :wink:

H
Not a radial, but capable of making serious holes at serious rates:
avey1.jpg
Looks a bit different now that it's a mill.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

John Evans wrote:
SteveHGraham wrote:What speed do you think you would use to push 7/16" in 304? I am curious. I think I was under 300.
Using HHS bit I would start at about 200 RPM with lube. SS needs to have a chip coming off all the time,rub a bit and instant work hardening.
Looking at the lathe front panel, it appears that I was at 235. Work-hardening is a real pain when I'm hand-feeding. Every time I had to get a new grip on the tailstock dial, I was afraid the short pause would ruin everything.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Back off a bit before you grab a new hand full!
www.chaski.com
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

John Hasler wrote:Not a radial, but capable of making serious holes at serious rates:
Indeed. Very nice!
I have a couple small drill presses, but almost never use either of them. I generally turn to my BP mill, but it has limitations. A press like the one you show would certainly be a step up!
Looks a bit different now that it's a mill.
Hmm. Want to help me out with that comment? What have you done so it can mill, aside from adding a table assembly? I'd be mostly concerned with the required quill support, and how you hold cutters.
That said, assuming you really do mill with the press, how does it perform?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Couple of things to watch out for when power feed drilling on a lathe, and this is from my own experience.... watch out you don't over load the quick change box. On the smaller machines the gears don't stand up as well. I wiped out a few gears in my 11" Logan drilling 304 stainless with a 7/16" drill. I put the drill in the headstock, removed the compound and machined a clamping block to fit in it's place so I could drill a 14" deep hole up the end of 5/8" thk rectangle bars...the gear box let go on the last of the 16 bars I had to do.
On my 19" leblond I bent the teeth on the rack. I was trying to run a 2" diameter spade drill through inconel. Needless to say I stopped before I damaged anything else and invested in a insert drill which was much easier on the machine.

Nyle
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Likewise be careful if power feeding on a Bridgeport class "turret mill". I originally thought, "it's a mill, I'm sure it can handle serious drilling". But I was informed that's not the case, luckily before I tried my luck too far. The power feed on a typical turret mill is intended for loads common running a boring head. Which of course will also handle modest size drills. But somewhere in the range of drills vs materials you will hit the limits of the feed mechanism itself. It also has a surprisingly weak torque handling capability, so running larger drills in back gear can break things as well. Exactly what is safe or reasonable seems to vary by person and perhaps by manufacture, but they are not intended for heavy drilling in any respect. My 20" VSG drill is much more massive in drive components than any common turret mill, and it's official limit is something like 1.5" diameter twist drills.

On a similar note I recently found a much nicer BP mill than the one I have been using. Table is in much better shape, ways are much better/tighter, chrome ways, automatic oiler, 8" spacer, etc. Price is right so I'm thinking of getting it and using the best of both (I think my head is better, TBD) to construct a new mill, and use the balance to create a precision light drill press that can also mill as needed and suitable. And keeping a drill chuck in it most of the time would reduce the hassle of the drawbar with 8" riser. Maybe just keep my rotary table on that one too to save a lot of hassle when the rougher mill will do? I wouldn't get much for my leftover parts anyway, and the big VSG will handle larger/slower drills, but then what to do with my 20" Powermatic that I just finished rebuilding the reeves drive in...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
spro

Post by spro »

Ah heck. Great informative post as usual.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

BadDog wrote: but then what to do with my 20" Powermatic that I just finished rebuilding the reeves drive in...
Depends on the shanks of your drills, doesn't it? If you have taper shanks, the BP won't be a great solution.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Good point.

I do have taper shanks for lots of larger sizes. Smallest are around 1/2" (I have a very few smaller, but never use) with MT2, which I use with MT3 sleeves on both Powermatic and the big VSG. The VSG top speed is something like 1000 rpm or a bit over, so it will do for me most of the time, with the exception of aluminum, which I don't do nearly as much with. The larger drills (up to just over 1" in MT3) are strictly the province of the VSG or some bigger MT4 on the lathe.

Still, I hate to loose the Powermatic, particularly when it's running so quiet and smoothly now that the Reeves drive is rebuilt. It's basically as good as new including all bearings and new TEFC motor. But I don't need both big drill presses AND 2 mills. And the mill gives me much better speeds (~4k as opposed to ~2k rpm max) for more common (by FAR) drill sizes, particularly in aluminum. Decisions, decisions. I know, build a bigger shop, that's the right answer!
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

BadDog wrote: I know, build a bigger shop, that's the right answer!
I often mention the fact (and it IS fact) that I could put a roof on the world, then quickly fill it up.

There is no such thing as a "too large" shop. Mine is 32' x 52', with 12' ceiling, and I'm out of space. I can see how I could put to use the balance of space that is now dedicated to storing two vehicles. That side is separated by an 8" thick block wall, with a man door roughly centrally located.

Harold
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

On that note, I think my ~1800 sf shop with 12' ceilings (well, in the center 1/2, taper down on outer edges) would be fine IF I could store all my general stuff somewhere else. I got all my yard tools out into one of those little tin sheds from home depot, 12x12 or so. I got most of my stock (particularly 20' sticks, etc, but LOTS more), plywood/siding/boards/etc and general junk (coolers, drop cloths, ceililng fans too good to throw out, etc) out into a ~30 "Tuff Shed" that was on the property when I got it. Stack of 42" spares on beadlocks along with other tires and full size scaffolding stored on the back (N) side where it blocks most of the sun most of the year. But I still keep paint cans in the main shop (too hot otherwise), extension cords, ladders, "project boxes" (big black trays I use to keep all related stuff for stalled "in progress" projects together, maybe a dozen+), big sand blaster cabinet, several benders, multiple welders, and so on. Probably should clean out some junk from the Tuff Shed and move non-heat-sensitive stuff like the ladders less used/extra stuff and most project boxes out there, maybe the less used machine tool accessories (8" 2 piece vise and such), then remove the then unnecessary shelving, and that would free up some space there. Originally I could get one of my smaller Desert trucks inside the building, but that ended before the first year. I then built a 2+ bay awning on the E side (beside my 2 post lift, HOT right now), but now can no longer even get vehicles under that. That's not even counting the 2 tractors and 3 desert trucks.
Will help when I finish the diesel repower on my expedition rig, but now I'm planning to convert from K5 based to Suburban based, when it cools down. And don't get me started on the fits-n-starts remodeling, converting a horse property to an orchard, ... It never ends...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

BadDog writes:
> Stack of 42" spares on beadlocks along with other tires and full size scaffolding stored on the back (N) side where it blocks most of the sun most of the year.

Tire stored in the sun?