Talk ME out of buying a Clausing 5914 lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spro

Re: Talk ME out of buying a Clausing 5914 lathe

Post by spro »

It really looks like a nice package. I see faceplate, chuck and stuff on the tailgate. That tool hanger is cool too. What is the big lever coming out of the right base column?
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Spro: The right base has 2 pins for hanging chucks on. That tool hanger won't make to my house if I get the lathe.Highly dislike reaching over things to get a tool ,not to safe with a turning spindle.
www.chaski.com
spro

Post by spro »

Sure John and you know what was there, more than I do. I just never saw that before, with the mostly static wrenches and chuck keys right there. That was a minor observation and what I thought was another lever( I had no idea how it related) were hooks for chuck/ faceplate. I certainly know you won't be using them for those. The broad hook spanner for the L00 is probably there too ( as if you couldn't make one) The long taper is about the best before the D cam type. That was the most popular size I've seen and many Jacobs Rubberflex systems receive that nose.
An earlier thread mentioned giving you a cold beer for fixing stuff up. It goes both ways and more than that. That lathe is worth so much more after your checks and repair/cleaning. Altogether a neat position on that fence.
John Evans

Well I bought it !

Post by John Evans »

Well I decided I could not live without the dumb thing ! Got to do some shop rearranging this weekend to make some room for this lathe. That and go on a diet so I can wiggle through the obsical [sp] course I'm creating. Spent a bit of time today sorting out some minor issues mostly caused by lack of maintenance and dumb people. Bottom line out the door $1200. The only real rust issues is cross slide top where human sweat and body oils left some pits.Important areas like ways really nothing but some minor stains. See pictures. By the serial # late 1977 ,only a few hundred more were built ending in 1979. By serial numbers looks like about 12,500 were made over 20 years.
Attachments
Clausing lathe 001.JPG
Clausing lathe 002.JPG
Clausing lathe 003.JPG
Clausing lathe 004.JPG
www.chaski.com
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

John! John! John! You were supposed to stretch out by the pool until the fever broke! Now you have a darn good looking lathe to mess around with. Looks like it cleaned up real well.

What are the other three lathes you have? Is this the newest one? If it is in good shape, could be your go to machine for just about anything.

Congrats!
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Glenn: SB Heavy 10 3.5' bed with taper att, Acra Turn 12X36 gear head Chinese & 18X40 Enco Chinese gear head.And now the Clausing 12X36 with taper att. Newest is the 12X36 about 12 years old bought new,SB is the senior citizen 50s something.
www.chaski.com
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

This is really surprising. The shock will be hard to get over. I think I speak for the whole gang when I say we fully expected you to resist temptation. Like we always do.

It looks very nice. For a CLAUSING! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
spro

Post by spro »

Hey John Congrates! Clausings had better bearings for high speed work, using more modern tooling. No way a bad investment.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Congrats, nice machine. I often wish I had kept my 11x37 Rockwell, but the new lathe will do everything the Rockwell would do, and a WHOLE lot more, so I let it go. I got some smaller D-16 chucks so that swapping wasn't always a back breaking chore (or set up the sky-hook), but sure would be convenient some times to have 2 lathes at once. I've also been kicking around getting a Chucker like a Tsugami, or even something like a Rockwell 11" turret setup as a chucker.

But 4? I think you may have a problem my friend...

Oh, and you aren't the only one with some new iron to hold down the shop floor. I just picked up a later model Bridgeport 2J with hard chrome ways and very little wear that has a nice table and one-shot lube. All around better machine than mine, but the head is in loose pieces in a box. Looks like it was in the process of getting a full rebuild with all new bearings and bushings when the company apparently started going under and it was abandoned. As far as I know everything is there (including new bearings/bushings still wrapped, and even a new clock spring), and if not, Cliff has any parts I might need, so building me a new mill...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Steve: I think you would like this Clausing .but not the way it was when it hit the door the other day. I've doing a LOT of sorting issues out on it.nothing major but enough that someone that does not have some knowledge of lathe design and repair would have been very frustrated. Sound like your experience?
www.chaski.com
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

John,
For what it's worth, I spent a great deal of time running the older brother to that machine, just before I started my humble commercial shop. There was one instance where every job I handled (for about a month) had at least one dimension with a one thou tolerance, or tighter. The machine, while not a Monarch EE, was up to the task.

The machine in question had been used by everyone and anyone, and had been badly neglected. However, being fitted with 5C collets and an adjust-true six jaw chuck, it was a perfect match for the small work I volunteered to do (small work has always been my specialty). It took about a week of constantly wiping and oiling before the carriage moved freely, and didn't expel black oil. Once it was to that condition, it was a pleasure to operate, which I did sitting. We worked five 12's on that job, with an added six hours on Saturday if one was on day shift. Sitting was quite desirable.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

John Evans wrote:Steve: I think you would like this Clausing .but not the way it was when it hit the door the other day. I've doing a LOT of sorting issues out on it.nothing major but enough that someone that does not have some knowledge of lathe design and repair would have been very frustrated. Sound like your experience?
The part about not having any knowledge of lathe design and repair sounds familiar.

Sometimes it's nice when a tool comes to you with problems you know how to fix yet which are beyond the skills of the seller.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.