How useful is the Aloris BXA 16?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Lazz
Location: The Warm Arizona Deserts... Phoenix to be precise...

How useful is the Aloris BXA 16?

Post by Lazz »

Like everyone I have ever asked I would like to add to my BXA collection. The Aloris BXA 16 is around $100 on ebay.... Give or take...

Since it is a double end insert holder is it more useful than buying 2 BXA 1 holders and the accompanying insert tooling?

I would like hear from the voice of experince...
GlennW

Re: How useful is the Aloris BXA 16?

Post by GlennW »

I have never used one as I primarily just use a turning/facing tool which saves a tool change.
33130_Indexable_Turning_Tool_MCLNR12-4C_img_6225.jpg
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I generally would do just as Glenn suggests. And if you've got the machine to run it, the CNM family of inserts are cheap, plentiful, and hold up very well. Insert holders are also common and reasonably priced. I prefer the Kennametal style that Glenn posted.

If you can't run the CN inserts, then the old school TPG inserts bight server you well, and are also cheap and (for now) plentiful, though pretty fragile. And of course, HSS is an option.

I have the block you are asking about in CXA. It just happened to come with a smoking deal on an Aloris CXA post (with half a dozen blocks). I do use it for light high speed slow shallow finish cuts when the CNM isn't suitable, or when for whatever reason I don't like or can't use other options, but mostly it just gathers dust. Then again, I have a few hundred CNM inserts in a variety of profiles, and a 17" 7.5 HP 2k rpm lathe.

So I wouldn't go out of my way to get one, and sure wouldn't pay $100 to do so. If I wanted that option, I would get a couple of good old school Kennametal TPG holders with carbide anvils/supports and chip breakers (I don't think the Aloris chip breaker is carbide OR replaceable?). Generally can be had less $20 each.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Ironman1

Post by Ironman1 »

I have 3 of them for my CXA tool post.
They are my go to for most of my common work needs. I think they are rigid and useful and live up to the name quick change, but YMMV.
Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune.- Jim Rohn

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

[quote="GlennW"]I /quote]

I hope you are safe from Irma's path. If not, get out while you can.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

Check out tool holders on Banggood.com. They are cheap and perform well. I like WNMG inserts for roughing. 6 edges available on each insert. I use CCMTand CCGX for finishing.
Rick

Post by Rick »

We have a couple for our CXA setup also in two lathes at work. Rigidity is their strong point, great for heavy cuts.
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"