BXA toolholder

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

GlennW

Re: BXA toolholder

Post by GlennW »

My guess would be that someone that didn't understand what was incorrect about it tried to make it fit and machined the wrong surface.

Mine would almost fit, but not quite.

When I bought my lathe it came with a Yuasa piston tool post and Aloris tool holders and all fit fine.

I decided to buy an Aloris tool post and that's when I discovered that the one tool holder would not fit on the Aloris tool post.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
medavido

Post by medavido »

I bought my first lathe a month or two ago and there were some tool holders and a couple of aloris type tool post. Turns out most tool holders are Aloris BXA holders that do not fit the AXA tool posts. There is one exception, it is an Aloris BXA tool holder with a 1/8" thick aluminum plate in the middle of the dovetail held in place my four flat head screws, fits perfectly.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I don't think I'd say it fits perfectly. It may work fine, but the tool post was designed with the mating surfaces being the outermost surface on the tool holder. Pushing it out the way you've described it means it is pulling it against a different surface. Again, it may work fine, but it isn't the way it was designed to work.

Dave