When one hobby fixes another...

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

OddDuck

When one hobby fixes another...

Post by OddDuck »

Sometimes I love having my own foundry. About a year or so ago I was using the leadscrew on my poor ol' Atlas lathe and the end of the leadscrew started flopping around. The bracket/bearing at the end broke. Dang. So, I've been leadscrewless for a while. Getting to the point in a couple of projects where I could really use it.
So, I epoxied the old one together, put a chunk of 1/2" dowel for a coreprint, and used it for a pattern. I thought about casting it in bronze, but the test cast came out so good I said to heck with it and installed it. Fit like a glove. Hee hee. Loove me some foundry.
Attachments
IMAG0371_1.jpg
IMAG0374_1.jpg
IMAG0385_1.jpg
IMAG0386_1.jpg
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
earlgo

Re: When one hobby fixes another...

Post by earlgo »

Very nicely done. You might consider running off a small lot and offering them for sale to Atlas/Craftsman owners. Most likely if you offered them in bronze they would be less expensive than those Clausing offers.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
spro

Post by spro »

Hey. Very neat. I don't know why the broken one was painted green but that doesn't matter. You know stuff and that is what matters to the one you made.

Okay. now I see the code. It was off screen.
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

I probably didn't have to paint it, Spro, it's a habit to paint patterns before use, and the green was about the only gloss paint I had at the moment.
Earlgo, it's a thought, but there are already several different people (at least on ebay) selling replacements. I could probably undercut them on price, but I have other projects I have to do first.
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus