Craftsman 101 Mica Commutator Undercutter. No motor

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Raptor197211

Craftsman 101 Mica Commutator Undercutter. No motor

Post by Raptor197211 »

I recently acquired my Uncles Atlas TH 54 10" lathe.
It came with a lot of tooling. Among this was a Commutator Undercutter
for a Craftsman 101 lathe. Wondering if anyone might be interested in it.
Since I will probably never use it, maybe someone else could.
Thanks and glad to be here.
pete

Re: Craftsman 101 Mica Commutator Undercutter. No motor

Post by pete »

Anything with that Atlas name on it now seems to be getting into the "collectors" status going by some of the insame Ebay prices. I believe those were used while repairing automotive starter motors and the then common generators instead of todays alternators. I can't remember the last time I heard of anyone repairing anything like it. Now it just get's replaced. Clean it up very well, take some good CLEAR pictures and throw it up on Ebay. I'd be willing to bet useful ot not some Atlas collector will buy it.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

You could always use it for milling slots in rods. Your Atlas has an indexing feature on the bull gear.

I suspect it could be used for internal grinding if you turned it 90 degrees and put a small stone on it.

Steve
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I've watched a commutator undercutter in action, during the rebuild of traction motors used on the Seattle Monorails.
The motors are 100 HP, 600 VDC, with 8 motors per 4-car Monorail train. Two trains. Plus spare motors.
We has at least two motors rebuilt each year, at a Seattle company well versed in that business.
I was Maintenance Manager at that time, as we rebuilt both trains for their 50th Anniversary.
They remain one of the only profit-making Public Transit systems in North America!
Will we ever learn?
~RN
Traction motor communtator
Traction motor communtator
Seattle Monorail
Seattle Monorail
RedTrain at McGrawPlaza2011.jpg (28.41 KiB) Viewed 3342 times
100 HP traction Motor rebuild
100 HP traction Motor rebuild