5C Collet Racks from the Tormach

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Comstock-Friend

5C Collet Racks from the Tormach

Post by Comstock-Friend »

Made these 5C collet racks to fit the drawer of my Enco 12" bench lathe. As it has a threaded spindle nose, it's my go to lathe for collet work. The 13" South Bend has a D1-4 spindle and thus more suitable for chuck work, but as the internal nose of both of them is the same, the SB can play with collets too.

I used my Tormach PCNC 1100. (http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 5&start=24)
100_0706small.jpg
100_0712 small.jpg
100_0713small.jpg
Next time around, we'll leave a bit more clearance as the OD of some of the collets are bigger than others (even the Hardinge ones are small and large!).

John
pete

Re: 5C Collet Racks from the Tormach

Post by pete »

Nice job and much better than the usual bent sheet metal 5C collet racks. Possibly my paranoia surfacing about rust problems, but I think I might seal at least the edges of each hole with some poly urethane or equivelent unless your 100% certain you won't have any future rust issues.
Comstock-Friend

Post by Comstock-Friend »

I'll monitor the rust situation. I didn't bother to Google rust and MDF, hope all will stay good...

John
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

Very nice work! They look like they are made of wood.
If this is the case, I would seal them (with paint or varnish)
to keep them from absorbing oils.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Actually, since it's all CNC, you could use the same code and do it again on sheets of plastic. Then you won't have to worry about rust or oils, and chances are a few guys here would want you to run them off some as well.

Steve
TomB

Post by TomB »

What supports the weight of the collets? I could guess they sit on the drawer bottom or on the holder board. A big rack of collets like that is heavy so they tend to bow a thin wood part if it not supported well.