D1-4 Camlock Problem.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

armscor 1

D1-4 Camlock Problem.

Post by armscor 1 »

Hi from The Philippines,
Have a problem with my 12X36 import lathe.
Chuck will go on Spindle nose only on one position, cams locking between the marks on spindle correctly.Remove chuck and rotate 120 degrees and one of the cams will not lock and rotates all the way past the secondary mark on spindle. I made new cams thinking that one of the cams is faulty but alas same problem. Measured the cam holes in the spindle and one hole is .050" closer to the spindle nose, hole drilled incorrectly, problem found and just have to live with it. Marked spindle and chucks so they will be locked in same orientation.

Anyone having similar problems?
Attachments
20181008_090024.jpg
WesHowe

Re: D1-4 Camlock Problem.

Post by WesHowe »

I had issues with a D1-4 spindle on an import lathe, when trying to fit a collet chuck to it. The actual issue was the nose on the spindle was not machined to specification, it was too "high" from the plane of the face, and thus the collet chuck did not sit flat. The chuck that came with the lathe fit, I assume it had been over-machined to compensate.

Machining the nose was quite easy to do, but measuring it was difficult, particularly setting the compound angle. It is very possible that is the root of your problem also.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

The Faceplate that came with the Lathe had similar problem, had to increase the taper dia in the faceplate to get good contact
WesHowe

Post by WesHowe »

I bought two different collet chucks, one expensive Polish brand and one Chinese one. Both exhibited the same problem, the biggest symptom was extreme runout on both (around 0.035"). That came from it riding on the nose and not the flat. The machining is really easy, but because you can't readily take the part off and put it on a surface plate and the side is a taper it's not easy.

You could try bluing up the nose, mounting the chuck and see if there is interference, and if needed take some very light cuts. After I followed a similar process my collet chuck (by then, the cheap Chinese one, I had returned the expensive one) mounted just fine, with no more than a few tenths runout, on the nose or the stock held in it.

Mine lathe is a 13x40, but there is a likelihood they were made in the same factory.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Before you do anything drastic, the pins in the chuck and faceplate are adjustable. Remove the small screw by the side of the pin and it can be screwed in or out. That adjustment will usually allow the cam to function properly. You may have to turn it several turns depending on how much out of adjustment it is.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I'm not sure what all the discussion is about. If the chuck is fitting the spindle nose properly, and the problem stays with one cam regardless of chuck position, the issue is with the cam. Nothing else is going to fix that, except as the OP has already done, adjusting one of the studs to compensate for it and always orienting the chuck that way.

I guess this is probably not a new lathe, or you would have sent it back. Can a replacement spindle be ordered? Or is it even worth the effort?

Dave
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

I made the new cams, exactly .050" TIR on all 3 cams, starting lift indexed to the lowest point of cam in relationship to relief for chuck pins. Adjusted chuck pins and installed chuck to spindle nose with indicator marks on spindle lining up just past 3 o"clock, all good. Remove chuck and rotate to another position, 120 degrees from original position and 2 cams are correctly positioned and third cam rotates freely 360 degrees not gripping chuck pin. Spindle cam hole is off, too close to spindle nose. Marked spindle and chucks so they will only go on in one position and have to live with it.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Problem solved, made a new cam for the problem hole 12 thou larger in diameter, chuck now goes on in all 3 positions with marks on spindle just past 3 O'clock. happy chappy.

Thanks Gentlemen.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

My Camlock chucks all have an index mark on them that I put there so that they always get installed in the same position for repeatability, as there is a corresponding index mark on the spindle.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Hope your house is OK.
I have marked my spindle and chucks and faceplate so they go back in the same position but in theory chuck should go in all positions and have repeatability in accuracy in a perfect world.