I bought a Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

bob54

Re: I bought a Lathe

Post by bob54 »

Hey John here are the photos you asked for.
http://s276.photobucket.com/user/oakdus ... as%20Lathe

The motors are only 1/4 hp...But I have a 1 hp laying around here
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

bob54 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:52 am Hey John here are the photos you asked for.
http://s276.photobucket.com/user/oakdus ... as%20Lathe

The motors are only 1/4 hp...But I have a 1 hp laying around here
You are missing everything !!! The banjo with gears and tumbler,gear on spindle and of course the QC box. And PLEASE post your photos directly to this site as normally I refuse to go to PB due to slow and the *$%&(% adds. Go to ebay and look for Atlas /craftsman lathe parts to see what you are missing and costs. Also your pulleys for the motor side to jack shaft are wrong ,your top speed will be very slow and slow will be unusable for turning. See my picture for what the correct pulleys look like.
www.chaski.com
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

No need to rebuild it with exact Atlas parts. Replace the AC motor (if it isn't already a DC motor) with a DC motor (treadmill motors can be gotten free) with a good controller and get continuous speed control with no need for elaborate jackshafts and step pulleys. Or you can fabricate (possibly without needing new parts) a workable pulley arrangement. Drive the leadscrew with a stepper or DC motor and add electronic leadscrew electronics when you decide you need threading. You may have to replace the leadscrew (or put up with having a short lathe) but acme screw is not expensive. The Sola transformer is for the electronics for the graphics stuff: you don't need it.

You'll want a compound and topslide: simplest solution would be to buy what you need off Ebay.

A tailstock with a full carriage is cool. Lots of possibilities.
spro

Post by spro »

The older tailstock is already expensive and the later one more elusive. The central area does not have the wear but ideally, the tailstock does still bear across the flat ways. It would be inconvenient, at the least, to have a carriage locked down so tight to become a tail support. Too much flex and all that. The other thing is that this lathe used the "rack" very often. As the bed wears and pinions wear, there is huge slop between.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Re: using the 2nd carriage for a tailstock. This sounds like a bad idea to me. It is sometimes difficult enough to get the tailstock close enough to the end of the part on a normal Atlas lathe and the normal tailstock slides between the legs of the normal carriage. If a second carriage is used, then there is going to be a very large overhang for a fixture holding a center, that can be run up close enough to be useful on short to medium length parts.
Imagine another carriage behind the one in the pic holding a center fixture.
MModel 3983.jpg
Pardon the missing paint, but that part of the rebuild hasn't happened yet.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
bob54

Post by bob54 »

I may sell the extra Carriage to help with the cost of rebuilding the Lathe. I have already found the lead screw, Apron Power Cross Feed Assembly, Back Gear Spindle Step Pulley, 32T Tooth Spindle Gear, all for less than $200.00 I' want to thank everyone for their advice and encouragement with my project. I still need a few parts so if anyone has Atlas parts they are wanting to unload on a newbe let me know.