Wacking the Morse taper out of the spindle

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Re: Wacking the Morse taper out of the spindle

Post by Mr Ron »

shootnride wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:23 pm When I first got my lathe, the first time I had to remove the 5C adapter from the spindle I drove it out with a wood dowel. Like you, I was concerned about possible damage to the spindle bearings. Since then I have used a bearing splitter between the 5C adapter and the lathe spindle. Using this method the adapter comes out easily and doesn't put any undue stress on the bearings. I don't know if this method will work on your lathe or not, but it's some food for thought.

Ted
My Sheldon lathe uses a MT5/5C adapter with a push off collar. The collar is used to remove the adapter as it is threaded onto the threaded headstock spindle. I am missing the collar, so I have to wack the adapter out. So far, it doesn't seem to be doing any harm. The splitter sounds like a good idea. I will have to get one.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Bill_Cook

Post by Bill_Cook »

A morse taper is very slight and doesn't need to be drawn in very hard to hold.
BC

If there was only one way to do each machining job, the smell of sulphurized cutting oil smoke would have fewer fond memories.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Bill_Cook wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:34 pm A morse taper is very slight and doesn't need to be drawn in very hard to hold.

A Morse taper is a self-holding taper. One that fits well does not need to be drawn in very hard to need quite a bit of force to get out. That's why they have tangs and why Morse taper drill press spindles have slots for a drift to drive the drill bit out.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I ran a run out check with a DI and couldn't get a readout greater than .0005" in the x or y direction, so I think the bearings are OK. The lathe (and the bearings)are 75 years old.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi