Threading

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Re: Threading

Post by SteveM »

John Hasler wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:07 pm I inherited a hammer with two wooden faces pressed into a cast-iron body. It was in poor condition (both faces worn down below the iron, cracked handle, chipped casting). I machined it a bit, poured lead into one face (no need for a seperate mold), pressed a piece of poplar into the other, and made it a new handle. In a year or two I will need to redo the lead face: a ten minute job.
I was figuring on splitting a metal block, adding registration pins, assembling it and clamping in a vise and then boring it.

When pouring, I figured I'd have some way of suspending a bolt, like a carriage bolt, in the mold so it would have a threaded rod sticking out that would screw into my hammer with replaceable, screw-in faces.

Steve
John Hasler

Re: Threading

Post by John Hasler »

After assembling and clamping your block drill and tap a hole in the center of the bottom. Then screw your bolt into that hole and pour in the lead.