Unknown lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

gootzie

Unknown lathe

Post by gootzie »

I acquired an old metal lathe that I hope some one will recognize and know who made it.I can not find anything on it. Thank you for your help.
lathe4.JPG
lathe5.JPG
lathe6.JPG
John Evans

Re: Unknown lathe

Post by John Evans »

Anything on the plate on the QC box ?
www.chaski.com
spro

Post by spro »

This lathe appears modified with other lathe parts and custom made units. The QC appears to be newer and the compound slide also. That is also why the apron was built to work with the lead screw, IMO.. It looks sturdy and capable enough to work Although if it is Atlas parts, I would be cautious about those gears pulling a heavier carriage.
gootzie

Post by gootzie »

The joke is on me being unable to read the small plate that is there. It is at an angle where I can't read it, plus I have astigmatism and can not read if my glasses are off, ie, turning my head. It does have a red outline that makes a cross on it, but unable to read anything, if any printing is there.

If it's a modified lathe, which it quite possibly, it may make it a bit harder to identify to a buyer. The full size of the lathe is probably 6' long. Would anyone have an idea what this might be worth as a resale item? It is part of an estate.

Appreciate the input. Thank you.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Depending on what is available in your area $200-700 . And that also is dependent on what if any tooling ie chucks and such come with it.
www.chaski.com
RMinMN

Post by RMinMN »

gootzie wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:39 pm The joke is on me being unable to read the small plate that is there. It is at an angle where I can't read it, plus I have astigmatism and can not read if my glasses are off, ie, turning my head. It does have a red outline that makes a cross on it, but unable to read anything, if any printing is there.

If it's a modified lathe, which it quite possibly, it may make it a bit harder to identify to a buyer. The full size of the lathe is probably 6' long. Would anyone have an idea what this might be worth as a resale item? It is part of an estate.

Appreciate the input. Thank you.
If you have a smartphone or tablet, use its camera to take a picture of the plate. You then can expand the picture to make it easier to read.
gootzie

Post by gootzie »

Here is a picture of the only plate on the machine. Furnas made motors for Logan, Atlas, and probably many more.
DSCF5681.JPG
gootzie

Post by gootzie »

I plan to include a great deal with the lathe, including pretty much what is along the same wall as the lathe. This includes some machinest chests, all tools, chucks. See attachments below.
DSCF5630.JPG
DSCF5631.JPG
DSCF5632.JPG
DSCF5635.JPG
DSCF5640.JPG
DSCF5642.JPG
DSCF5630.JPG
gootzie

Post by gootzie »

I couldn't add these to the post. They would also be included in the package deal.
DSCF5668.JPG
DSCF5669.JPG
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

It's a "Franken" lathe still ain't worth much ,with the extras the high end of what I said. Again depending on your area and maybe a newby you might get a grand. Personally I would not be interested if it was free,sorry harsh but my opinion.
www.chaski.com
gootzie

Post by gootzie »

I appreciate your candor, Mr. Evans. No offense taken.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Try to find nameplates on the toolchests.