Clausing 5914 spindle removal

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

elm53

Clausing 5914 spindle removal

Post by elm53 »

I am working on a clausing 5914, and have gone through everything but the spindle. Im looking for info on how others have gotten the spindle out. The gears in the headstock do not move on the spindle once the set screw is removed .. any info would be greatly appreciated!
earlgo

Re: Clausing 5914 spindle removal

Post by earlgo »

One could assume that you have done an internet search and found nothing to help. I found these but... https://www.bing.com/search?q=clausing+ ... 41a0c3f1d4
Maybe there is something on: http://www.vintagemachinery.org/home.aspx that would be of use.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Drop a email to Clausing with your model and serial number and they will send you a PDF covering your lathe FREE !
www.chaski.com
elm53

Post by elm53 »

I have the correct manuals. These don't explain how to remove the spindle. I have also been in touch with the Clausing tech dept.Tom there has been a great help during this rebuild.
pete

Post by pete »

I can't say for sure with that machine, but it's more than common where two set screws are used in the same hole. The second is used to lock the first in it's position and keep it from loosening. Have you checked for that?
elm53

Post by elm53 »

Thanks Pete, I have the manual with exploded diagrams . There is only one set screw and two different sized keys. I've gotten it apart,and going to replace the bearings. There are alot of things on this machine that are not mentioned in the manual.
Thanks for the replies and help.